1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

Best course to follow up Kickstarters

Discussion in 'Kickstarters' started by Matthew Harnage, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Hey Mike,

I really loved the kickstarter masterclass. In it you mentioned possibly doing a bunch of quick kickstarters for nailing a wide range of styles. Did you ever make these?

Also, I loved the quick tip and practicality of the tips. What's the natural follow up to this video?

The way you discussed pacing throughout the music, building and introducing new ideas. That stuff is never really been talked about like you do. I'd like to keep learning about that stuff to keep people interested. Just wondering which masterclass you'd recommend next.

Thanks for all the hard work you put into these videos. I'm learning a ton.

Matt

2. Which other classes have you taken?

3. None. Only Kickstarters. But the easily digestible little tips and thought processes are helping a lot so far. Things like only 2 new things at once... etc, stick in my brain and are immediately applicable. Looking for stuff like that.

4. They're all like that. That's almost the tagline for each class. Comp 1, Comp 2, Theminator, and Kickstarters all share the same origins. Comp 1 sets the primary ground rules upon which each of the subsequent are taught, Counterpoint, too. But one of the reasons you can take the classes in any order is that, ultimately, counterpoint and composition and orchestration, etc. are not separate disciplines; they are inextricably linked.

5. I kinda thought that may be the case. But wanted to check just to make sure.

I'm assuming for general composition/pacing stuff Comp 1 is best? I'm really looking for general specific tips to help me remain at a distance to my music. Also I have to write a variety of stuff, so general music tips and stuff would be the most helpful.

Thanks for replying.