1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

Beethoven Challenge

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Mattia Chiappa, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Hello people!

For a while now I wanted to try writing something going straight to paper without using the piano.

I wasn't sure I would be able to do this, so I made it easier on myself by keeping it short and simple. As expected, the end result is nothing spectacular or original (a bit of a bad rip off in fact) but considering how big a limitation that was, It could have turned out way worse. Maybe I'll try something more adventurous next time.

During the process I noticed a few interesting stuff:
    • Whilst very limiting or maybe because of that, working like this is super fast. Without your ears playing tricks on you there aren't many decisions to take.
    • What I missed the most was having my usual piano sketch to guide the overall shape of the piece and orchestration.
    • Despite trying not to, I caught myself many times singing the lines I was writing. Maybe this could be considered a way of cheating but I really couldn't help it in the end.
    Just to show you the results of the experiment, I did not change anything after hearing the piece even if this could obviously be improved in many ways. Anyone else up for the challenge?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tujga95e096e07/BEETHOVEN CHALLENGE.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tbottha5fnyawbq/BEETHOVEN CHALLENGE - CONCERT SCORE.pdf?dl=0

2. Mattia,

Wow! Do this more often. As you said you "caught yourself singing"... Is this cheating? I'm not sure but who cares! Because what came out, in the end, was something just as "singable" and lyrical as you wrote. I can sing your theme because YOU COULD SING IT! It was quite rhythmic and lyrical all the way through. It breathed, it flowed, it made sense.

Bravo!

Question: As you notated it into your notation program, did you hear the notes then or waited to the very end to hear it finally played back?

P.S.

Tchaikovsky didn't need a piano to write his scores. He notably wrote his scores in his diary while he took his walks. He would write from within his head and/or would sing the melodies... hence! Why his melodies are so lyrical because he would sing them and articulate them.

Here is a real Tchaikovsky sketch from one of his diaries.

upload_2019-6-6_11-15-21.png

3. I'm not a fan of calling this "Beethoven Challenge", but being able to do this one day is one of my goals too. I think you did a wonderful job at this, very well done! I do think there are great benefits in terms of speed and melodic quality to be reaped from this approach.

Mattia Chiappa likes this.
  4. Maybe to write a melody that isn't trash, but not something to this extent! Great job!

I'm with Dillon -- I don't think singing is cheating. Maybe if you're really trying to be like Beethoven, but many of the greats composed by singing.

Mattia Chiappa and Dillon DeRosa like this.
  5. Thank you very much for your support guys!

Yeah I muted the master output while making the score. I was quite tempted to turn the volume up a few times but I've only heard it at the very end :)