1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

ASMR Percussions + Free Kontakt library

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Mattia Chiappa, Feb 1, 2020.

1. #1 Mattia Chiappa, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Hi everybody,

I've been feeling bad for not sharing any music here lately, so let me redeem myself by giving away the library I created in order to make this piece. I'm not sure if you'l ever find any use for it but here you go: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lI8NnYvfrO2MOFfrNvxIl4CWqw6soJVM

This is not the usual music you might have heard from me. For this I wanted to step away from my comfort zone and try something different. Let me say that between coming up with the idea, recording the samples and then having to write something it, it really was not easy. The hardest part was trying to refresh the orchestration with such a limited palette of instruments.

Try listening with headphones for tingles! I'm not sure if it works on everybody, for example it used to work on me but I've become desensitized halfway through making this.

2. Cool man!

I love it!

Bravo

Mattia Chiappa likes this.
  3. Cool! Sounded great on my Beyers. I'm curious about really detailed mixing like this, it's an area I have no idea how to approach. I've always loved sound-design in electronic music.

(PS -- Good to see you on here @Doug Gibson . Surviving the fires?)

4. Thanks! For mixing there really isn't too much going on, just a tiny bit of eq and light compression on a few tracks. Believe it or not, 80% of what you hear is the actual raw recordings. The mix might sound fancier because of all the crazy panning and the extra wide stereo image on the shaker like pencils but there really isn't much else to that.
    I knew from start I wasn't gonna make any major tweaks to the sounds so my priority was getting the recordings right. That was very frustrating. When you record at such low dynamics you encounter all sorts of problems. For example you have to turn up the pre-amps quite a bit, introducing a lot of noise and saturation to the recordings. Initially, my solution for that was getting really close to the mic but that also made everything sound bass heavy. I still don't think I was able to find an optimal balance but yeah, I would say for the biggest part the final mix was achieved by making compromises while recording. I wouldn't necessarily go such extreme extents for any other type of music but in this case, It was crucial for me to stay true to this very specific "style".

5. Fun track, thanks for sharing, especially along with the library! Very generous!
    It's harder for me to "connect" with it compared to the orchestral work from you, but I guess that's mainly because this is so much unlike anything I'm used to listening to. Don't think I can offer anything helpful besides my encouragement to explore this further!

In general I'm interested in "ASMR qualities in music" as a topic. Did you manage to find out any specific frequency ranges that make the difference between one sound working as a trigger and another one not working? If something triggers that feeling, can you layer any other sound over it without ruining the effect? Or do certain conditions on the freuquency spectrum need to be met to make it "work".

As far as I'm aware the scientific research on this is not active compared to the vast body of work and millions of people listening to such sounds. The "pure ASMR" content never quite appealed to me, but I have a suspicion that some of the music that I like is very rich in the high-frequency content that some of these ASMR trigger sounds seem to have. And I'd like to learn more about the overlap between music and this phenomenon. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the preference for old analog gear could be explained by why people like ASMR triggers.

What are your thoughts on this?

6. I'm not sure.. It's a seems to be such a personal experience that the results can be quite unpredictable. I can see why the research on this hasn't come to any convincing conclusions. Even the people who feel pleasure from that, can have a significantly different experience depending on how long they have been exposed to those sounds in the near past. Not just that but some people (my mum for example) seem to experience discomfort rather than pleasure. Considering all that plus all the different sectors and areas, It's really hard to get you head around what is really going with this phenomenon. My point of view is somehow detached. More like an observer than a "practicant". ASMR doesn't have any particular resonance with me but with all the attention is getting I wanted to get a closer look. My interest though lies more in the what than the how or why. From an observer point, my conclusion is that when you re-contextualise ASMR in music doesn't not have the same effects on people. It does on me because I'm the composer and I know exactly which sounds were used at any given point and where they are coming from. Missing the visuals is a huge factor but also layering sounds and organising them in sequences, makes them hard to distinguish for the general public turning the them into music, hence you get detached because your brain processes them in a very different way. Or maybe not, and this may very well be the reason why you had trouble connecting with the piece, because you don't quite know if you're listing to music, sounds or what effect it should have on you.

Martin Hoffmann likes this.
  7. That's really the way to do it, and how Amon Tobin, Steven Wilson, etc seem to do it. Getting the placement to feel right is another skill I don't quite possess yet.

Oh I imagine recording can be a real nightmare. I suppose you want as much of the RAW sound as you can while still leaving enough that EQing/compressing it doesn't change the sound completely. Sounds fantastic though, overall.

I don't really care about whether or not it's "ASMR" as much as just loving the effect of good sound design. Steven Wilson's catalogue has been a great example of marrying fantastic sound design with organic/real sounds as well as solid compositional chops.

Here's a more experimental track, but I love the effect

Mattia Chiappa likes this.
  8. that's so cool, I really wanna do some sampling like this. and thanks for the library that's awesome! kinda reminds me of billie eilishes stuff, her tracks seem to have a lot of this super detailed ASMR style vibe.

9. You caught me! I started listening to her music lately and developed a bit of an obsession for that :).

10. #11 Mattia Chiappa, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Hey! I've seen you posted that piece in the chat as well but why don't you start your own thread rather than asking for advice here? It'll make a lot more sense for you and the people willing to help.

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  11. Hey, I dont how to make a thread.