1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

Arrangement (Reduction) -- Feedback on harmony

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Rohann van Rensburg, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Hi folks,

My writing has been abysmal lately -- got stuck with a composition with nowhere to take it. Stuck in the "valley of despair" (DK effect), little output, life, etc. Anyway -- Austin Wintory released a barebones melody and challenged people to harmonize and arrange it, so I decided to jump in and hopefully get back on track. Here's the piano reduction version. Would love to know thoughts (the notation is fairly bare-bones too, more just for "writing it down"'s sake). Please excuse the stiff MIDI performance; I had to input this on a synth with terrible sensitivity and I'm not good at playing it [although I wrote it on actual piano]):

Few thoughts:
    -The arpeggiated thing is something I'm not set on yet. I still have trouble not writing "piano-y" when doing reductions (also doesn't help that I'm not a very competent player)
    -I don't know if the octaves to lower harmony at bar 16 works
    -The voicings at the end will probably be slow and quieter, I was picturing strings and winds there

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iw1esspduzcw5k8/Austin Wintory Melody Arrangement.wav?dl=0

upload_2019-8-30_14-23-14.png

Attached Files: