1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone here speak German?

Discussion in 'Info, Requests, etc.' started by Paul Poole, Jun 10, 2020.

1. I'm trying to translate some old font German from a book published in 1795, authored by Johann Ernst Altenburg—titled:

An Essay on the Introduction to Heroic and Musical Trumpeters' and Kettledrummers' Art

I'm having a bit of trouble discerning some of the letters that are different from their english equivalent, plus which that old world font isn't helping. Google Translate is giving me some weird results on some of it.

Anyway, here is the screenshot, with numbers by the nine text labels I can't seem to meaningfully translate, if any German speakers can help. Thanks in advance.

Altenburg.jpg

2. Paul,
    I have translated German script in the past. Converting to modern script is the first step. I do not read/write German so I am using Google translate. German speakers will give a better translation.

I have included a German Script alphabet conversion chart below.

2. einfache zungen = simple tongues

3. doppel oder gerissene zungen = double or cracked/torn tongue

4. tregende zungen = nagging tongues

5. genze doppel zungen = completely double tongues

6. doppel kreuzschlage = double intersection

7. wirbel = whirl

8. doppel wirbel – double whirl

9. aufziig = exhilarating

[​IMG]

Paul Poole likes this.
  3. Wow! Very generous of you. Thanks a lot. I didn't realize there were so many German letter variations.

The "tongues" part makes sense; timpanists back then borrowed the term "double-tonguing" from their trumpeter comrades.

Cheers.

4. The German language is so harsh that they can play timpani with their tongue !

Paul Poole likes this.
  5. I speak German )) but it's a bit late I guess ))

Paul Poole likes this.
  6. What is your take with respect to those Google translations and the context of the original text I posted?

7. Craig Dukerschein made already better than the best i could do )

Best,