1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

Working through the Real Book (5th ed)

Discussion in 'Score Study Resources' started by Rohann van Rensburg, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Hello gentlefolk,

I procured a copy of the Real Book 5th edition, (thanks @Sean Barrett), and am starting to work on some progressions. However, when it comes to proper jazz voicings, I'm a bit lost. I'm familiar with inversions and drop voicings, as well as general jazz principles (spread intervals lower down, can eliminate bass note due to bass player, 5ths are unnecessary, 3rds and 7ths are most important, try not to double notes unless top note of chord voicing, etc), but it's a bit intimidating to figure out precisely what's going on with the voicings in Giant Steps, for example.

Is it just a process of transcription?

Also, does every chord have a 7th in jazz? The Real Book lists G, B, etc where I think I'm hearing Gmaj7 and Bmaj7; there's of course dominant chords and minor 7ths but they're written out.

Sean Barrett likes this.
  2. Listen to the first 20 seconds of this

Claude Ruelle likes this.
  3. There are probably, like, a million ways to voice a major 7 chord especially if you are adding in extensions. The Real Book will just give you the basic voicings and is good as a reference but it won't give you many specific voicings so you will definitely want to transcribe. It can be more difficult to pick out specific voicings when the whole band is swinging, so I'd suggest starting with solo piano or guitar. You'll find certain shapes that lay well on the piano and get used all the time. For instance, you can create a ton of different chords using stacked fourths depending on the context.

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  4. Love Joe Pass. Haha ok fair, I'm referring specifically to the recorded version here:

Sean gave me a bit of a rundown though, I appreciate that. It's pretty hard to pick out dense chords with everything going on, but good call, I'll look for solo piano.

I think Mike's intention (from what I recall) is changing between chords in the most efficient way possible, but utilizing this book well might take me a while.