1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

Which string library does this sound fit better?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Manuel Cervera, May 3, 2019.

1. I am transcribing these tracks.
    Please, could you recommend which String library would do the work better?

I am working on orchestral based trailers and I would like to fit that sound.
    On the other hand, I´m interested to find classical works that could inspire that tracks (@Doug Gibson, your help is welcome)
    Thank you very much in advance.

2. Spitfire Chamber Strings (Professional); I did a review and a track with them, check it out:

Manuel Cervera likes this.
  3. Jure, really thanks.

Jure Jerebic likes this.
  4. Is it possible wirh S. Chamber Stings (no PRO)?
    Could the tutorial be worthy for no PRO one?

5. I'd say yes, just check the comparison on Spitfire's website - Pro version has CTAO mics, etc.

6. Spitfire Chamber Strings standard comes with CTAO mics (I have it). I don't think Pro is necessary, especially in a template. It's a bunch more specialized mic placements that 99% of your audience won't hear, and you already have a ton of articulations with SCS, more than you'll probably use. Spitfire products are expensive enough as is.
    SCS sounds quite nice. It's difficult to get a convincing chamber strings sound, but the mic blends and the performance legato are quite convincing. I pair it with Virharmonic's solo strings (Cello and Violin as of now) which are by far the most convincing and playable solo instruments I've heard. I'd always prefer recording vs samples, but Virharmonic's solos don't need 2h of engineering to get sounding passable.

Manuel Cervera and Jure Jerebic like this.
  7. im not sure it really matters what you mock it up with.

youll be stuck using mostly close mics if you want that sound - so look for libraries with good sounding close mics

8. Could you recommend any?

9. tone wise probably css

10. That entirely depends on what the end goal of a mockup is. Is it, in fact, a mockup, or does he want libraries that will deliver something believable in the end?

Performability is a large factor, IMO. CSS sounds better than just about any comparable library, but I've heard it's a pain to actually play in notes, especially legato.

11. #11 Kyle Judkins, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    not so sure about that. many don't like css tone, myself included.

Berlin is a vastly more.comprehensive solution, and I'd argue a much better tone if I wasn't absolutely sure that's an entirely subjective matter.

css is cheap, but pretty basic and sonically inflexible when it comes to difference between mics. That said, having a mixed mic option is resource friendly and Berlin is what you buy when ram grows on trees.

I personally find berlin to be the only one with enough flexibility to really make me feel like I'm able to be musical.

CSS's niente and options of literally just no vib and vib take me out completely....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7vr5sbuw2jxbdk/BerlinViolaMorningSketch.mp3?dl=0

This is an example of me just trying to get a few bars in my daw before work, loading up my soft sustains viola patch and just improvising - using 2 CCs. It's inherently musical... and ironically captures something CSS cannot(soft and delicate)

CSS has a weird niente feature, and it honestly feels like you've got mp-mf and then everything else is just volume scaling. as a result, CSS can play quiet, but it's not really soft.

12. #12 Rohann van Rensburg, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    I think CSS's main strength is in the sound of the legatos. It sounds more convincingly like an actual string section than anything I've heard. String sections aren't only about legatos though, for all the reasons you mentioned.

It's also important to factor in that Berlin strings is absurdly expensive, so budget dictates accordingly. Even a very expensive library like SCS is considerably cheaper, especially on discount. It depends what you want out of your samples. Mike uses Hollywood Strings (dirt cheap on sale) and his mockups sound better than most I've heard because of his expressiveness and musical content, in the end.

13. #13 Kyle Judkins, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Berlin strings is quite expensive, especially with expansion a and b.

Hollywood strings wasn't always cheap :)

can't remember how much HWS diamonds was, but I remember getting lass for a grand and was happy about it.

that was after getting like 2.7k worth of CC2 getting only gold versions of hwb and hww

that said, if he wanted to mock that up(as the title suggests) I think CSS is probably the closest tone wise.

for a main string library - CSS is cheap, and while it doesn't have a lot of articulations - it's still well made.
    SCS is not quite as refined, but has quite a few articulations. SSS also has a good lot of articulations - but in my opinion doesn't sound as good as SCS.

HWS on the other hand - is classic and can be gotten for as little as a subscription.

Berlin is like the string library to end string libraries, but costs a lot and has probably too many options for most people. And the depth of sampling and options comes at the cost of system resources. You can use more than 64 gb of ram for just berlin strings + the A and B expansions with all the mics being used.

I imagine Hollywood strings diamond would have had that crown just a few years ago.

To me, I've found that microphone options are absolutely huge in sculpting a sound... but for now(until OT's new sample player) it takes gobs of ram.

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  14. Yeah true. I think it illustrates some limitation of sampling -- HWS still sounds solid years down the road and GUI and performance hasn't drastically improved with most other instruments. With Berlin and the like you mostly get way more options. I think SCS is an awful lot more versatile than CSS, but CSS has a particular tone many are after. HWS is just a pain to learn how to use, and the lack of keyswitching is pretty annoying.

How do you find Berlin's internal balancing? I wish sample devs would do the work so we didn't have to. Yeah the system resources alone are pretty crazy. HWS isn't that bad if you SSD stream.

Do you still use HWB and HWW? HWW is kind of weird, I don't know why they didn't record it in the same space.

15. I use all Berlin at this point

but I might be swapping some perc for sd3 orchestral perc

16. Thank you very much for all of your suggestions.