1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

What other skills complement Film scoring?

Discussion in 'Film & Film Production' started by Tomas Iglesias, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Some people say ' don't have a plan B '

Others just need to pay bills.

In your opinion: What other skills or Jobs are related to the craft of Film Scoring, get you closer to 'the' goal, or simply teach you transferable skills that will come in handy.

2. We should have a sticky for "working in the industry" questions like these, as they come up an awful lot.

I haven't worked in the film industry, but I've heard Mike and others speak on this and have thought about it a lot. What is "the" goal, and why? Craft (skill and control) isn't positively correlated with success in the film industry, after all.

3. "Film scoring and working with directors is fundamentally a process of collaboration............(pause)............... now bend over."

I must of heard that joke about every week 15 + years ago. (sadly we all know now there is a more grave and serious aspect of insight into a crazy culture.)

It's impossible to answer you very well, as I neither see a clear outline of "the goal" or what we would be transferring to.

I've said before here: In general people overestimate what they can accomplish in the short/medium term - and underestimate what they can do long term.

Do or do not.....there is no try.

4. I swear I'm not exaggerating or being facetious when I say that in 2019 you don't need any skills of any measurable quantity at ALL to score films, let alone "additional" skills. I mean, a pulse? A brain stem? Some sample libraries? So much of the music now stretches the definition of music to such an absurd degree that I don't know how you measure what is and what isn't professional work.

If you're asking what you'd do 60 years ago as Jerry Goldsmith's contemporary, I'd say mastery of composing, orchestrating, arranging - across a huge variety of styles and idioms; competent control of an instrument; experience playing in and with live musicians in multiple contexts; interesting life philosophy and experience; a working understanding of drama, dramatic structure; extensive familiarity with the repertoire of great pieces of music and literature; balls, talent, social skills, and an unstoppable work ethic and emotional fortitude. For starters.

_Mike

5. I'd pretty much just outright say piano. (or I suppose keyboard, if there are any organ players)

Don't think Goldsmith develops as far as he did without it.

Additionally I think .... not mastery by any means, but "able to communicate" ....ie. weekend warrior level, Drums, and singing.
    Followed by a "in case of emergency" and "no other options" ability to conduct. Both Goldsmith and Williams seemed to really enjoy the experience.
    Serious conductors are forced to become good sight singers.

Removing ability (I personally am not very good) it's an intense way to learn the 'psychology" of an orchestra, and what is helpful or not.

The biggest ass-kicking I think I have ever had was for a conducting workshop with the Omaha symphony. Oh..... that was painful.
    However, that's how you learn, and does teach an immense respect for both the players and those who decide to conduct.

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  6. Street walker. You develop the skill of getting paid before you put out. ...and not being too choosy about who you work for.