1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

We Lost A Promising Composer...

Discussion in 'The RedBanned Bar & Grill' started by Rohann van Rensburg, Feb 11, 2018.

1. In case you missed it, Jóhann Jóhannsson died two days ago, cause unknown.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43020828

Say what you'd like about the legitimacy of textural composition, his music moved me and his approach was really quite unique. It's heartbreaking to know that his best work likely died with him.

Samuel Diaz likes this.
  2. Man I’ve been so sad since I heard the news yesterday. I first heard his work on Sicario and I absolutely loved it, plus it fit the film so well. I always looked forward to his scores because he was always trying to do something unique and I admired that. Gone far too soon :(

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  3. Me too, hit me pretty hard. Sicario was one of my favourite films in recent memory and his score fit it really well. Watch Arrival if you haven't already, and go into it as blindly as you can.

Samuel Diaz likes this.

4. I have actually!! Such an interesting movie and again, the score was just so refreshingly different. Like Daniel Pemberton and a few others, I felt like Johann was always trying to do something different with his music, yet still elevate what was going on screen and that's one of those qualities I loved about his scores. Arrival is definitely another perfect example, I mean the stuff he did with voices and the languages was just insane imo. Wish it had worked out between him and Denis on Blade Runner 2049.

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.