1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

Verta JRE?

Discussion in 'The RedBanned Bar & Grill' started by Sam Miller, Jan 18, 2018.

1. It's Thursday evening here and I'm enjoying some vodka while sifting through YouTube videos. I'm about 5 minutes into Joe Rogan's podcast with Mel Gibson and it's getting kind of boring. So I'm wondering what @Mike Verta and other forum members think about Mike and Joe sitting down for a chat.

I often find the non-music discussions at the end of Mike's masterclasses really enjoyable and would love to see a long-form version of that with someone like Joe. I'm not sure how responsive Joe and Jamie are to requests (Twitter is supposedly good), but we could give it a crack.

Sam

Matthias Calis and Samuel Diaz like this.
  2. That would be rather amazing!

3. I like Joe. He's got no motivation to bring me on, but it'd be fun. We're cut from similar cloths, I suspect.

Years ago I used to do a live show/podcast kind of thing - basically 2 hours of the end-of-class stuff I do now. Topical stuff; news review/analysis; universe repair; etc. It had a following and was fun but it also felt very repetitious after awhile, so I stopped doing it. Now I just wander around the house muttering to myself. It's the same thing, basically, minus the camera.

Patrick McClanahan likes this.
  5. I think there would still be a lot of value in it if you could come on the show. Judging by the popularity of videos such as "The Marvel Symphonic Universe" (5,8 million views) that there is a wide audience for this kind of stuff. Since I own and have watched most of your masterclasses, I'd probably not hear anything new, but to those many hundreds of thousands of casual moviegoers that feel somewhat disatissafied with modern moviescores in blockbuster, this could be very interesting, I think.

I also like Joe Rogan quite a bit. Sure, it gets a little nutty at times and I've noticed that when he talks about areas where I have some expertise, his understanding can be rather... simple, but that's to be expected. What I mostly dig about him is that he strikes me as very open-minded, in the truest sense of the word. There have been a few times where he clamped down on some set of beliefs over another, but those occassions are rare. I also really like that he invites such a bredth of various guests to come on the show. Most important of all, he just seems to be genuinely curious about lots of different stuff and there have been quite a few ocassions where I got really interested in subjects that I would've otherwise never encountered or entertained.

6. #6 Sam Miller, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    I went through those podcasts when I came across Mike's website for the first time. Really enjoyed them, but the content is covered in more depth through the masterclasses. The intro would be a mouthful: "Mike Verta - Composer, Director, CGI Artist, home-schooling Father, Star Wars fantatic, Autodidact, Halloween-costume maker, Domestic-Abuse lecturer, Teacher and whiskey-drinking rant-making extraordinaire."

Lots to talk about under those headlines too: the state of music in film and pop music more generally, the use and overuse of CGI, why some CGI still looks horrific and why some still stands up, the appeal of home-schooling, life as an autodidact and teacher, the Wein-stain debacle and Hollywood more broadly, how to rant while remaining erudite and articulate.

I'd watch that.

Matthias Calis likes this.
  7. Actually the live-show podcasts I did aren't online and never were - they were live show/tune-in things. Those other short podcasts on things like Getting Paid were sort of beta testing what became the Masterclasses. But yes, generally I never shut up.

Matthias Calis likes this.
  8. Good. Please don't ever shut up. I've already ripped a few audio snippets from some classes for motivation. There's nothing quite like Mike angrily telling me to learn to f*cking play at the start of a new session ;)

As you can imagine the real motivational stuff comes from around the 4 hour mark when you're a few drinks in and are fed bait questions by chat.

One day I'll make a motivational supercut and turn it into a sample library...

9. Matthias, you're not wrong about wordly truths popping up in the last minutes of a class. I'm currently completing the spreadsheet for the Template-Balancing class and just past the 4-hour mark someone asks Mike's thoughts on the idea that transcription won't teach you anything - you have to go to school to learn music. The response was, "Try to learn how to fuck by reading a book. It's too complex, you can't do it." That should be on a t-shirt.

10. I've had a look around the web and while there are various outlets that record requests, they're all apparently ignored by Joe and Jamie. Twitter seems like the best bet. Any consensus on a message for twitter? Do we just go, "Joe, consider having this dude on," or do we want something with a bit more of an explanation and a link to something on YouTube?

11. Idk, mike seems more or less harder to relate to for something like the JRE. He's not doing anything relatable - and while he has opinions, they are more or less just sharp commentary - which is essentially what joe rogan himself fills the role of on his podcast.

It's an odd world where you can hear about a guy shooting stem cells into his dick and that's more relatable than what many would consider the death of thematic film music into this modern blob of underbeds and sound design. The latter is far more relevant in 2018, but isn't that interesting to the average person to talk about.

12. I'm not sure that's entirely true. Video essays on this topic have gotten millions of YouTube hits the last while, so there's at least some sizeable audience.

13. Most of my friends don't even know what the music sounds like in the movies they go to see... I say you remember the soundtrack for blankety-blank? And most will admit they don't remember what anything sounded like from that

If there is millions of hits on the topic of modern scoring, it's likely just the results of a very heavily followed Channel, and the topic itself probably comparatively did worse than the other topics.

I could be wrong but anecdotally I don't know anybody who cares about music enough in films these days

14. But what if they were made aware of why they never remember scores? That's the whole point of those video essays -- people do remember and love the scores from Harry Potter, Star Wars, LOTR, etc, but not the generic drivel directors and studios are obsessed with.

It's one of those topics I think will garner attention when it's brought to the attention of people. I know of a lot of non musical people who became really interested in that Every Frame A Painting video.

15. to make matters worse, nearly everyone to know also turns the music all the way off first thing in every game we play

I'll never understand it, but Dad said I think people only care about music and movies if it's noticeably bad... which isn't because they shouldn't, they just don't know that that's what they want because the new stuff is generally completely unmemorable

I hate to throw his name out there but even Zimmer isn't that memorable to people who aren't musicians. And his arrangements are incredibly one-dimensional and not busy so it should be really easy to digest The Melodies, but it had friends come over when I have my DAW up, noodling on a church organ

And they'll say man that reminds me of interstellar, I'll play the main themes in interstellar and it'll go right above their head. Part of me wonders if this is simply because we weren't really pushed to play instruments in school here in the United States

But at the same time I've seen plenty of movies and not remembered anything from them unless I actively wanted to know what the music sounded like

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  16. It might be a case of bringing them to the water but not making them drink

You never know, Joe Rogan has some odd people on, it's just that it's not exactly clickbaity nor a popular topic

17. There are few people I can't find a way to relate to in some way in this world, but I don't get this in the least. What on earth? Most gamers I know know and love game music way more than most modern film scores. Game music made a massive impact on me as a kid. Though it depends what they play -- COD, sure. But Limbo, Journey, Bloodborne, Skyrim, The Witcher, Mario, Legend of Zelda, Assassins Creed II? What's the point if the music is absent? I have more hope for game than film music quite honestly. These pieces are being performed by live orchestras in Europe and are actually well attended. The Zelda symphony tours worldwide and tickets sell like crazy.

True.

I think people think the like pieces from films they watched (like Interstellar) but being largely textural, they don't recall anything other than "pipe organ chord". Some other textural composers tend to do a better job of distinguishing themselves quite honestly, like Howard Shore or Jóhannsson, but the problem with the lack of colour/tonal distinction and interconnectedness makes this nearly impossible for others.

I think the lack of musical education in North American schools (most specifically the US) is a travesty, especially given the cultural ramifications this has, and how clear the research is on the benefits of musical education.
    I blame the general scientistic attitude in much of academia; implicitly or explicitly the idea seems to be that only hard scientific subjects "matter", which is ironically contradictory to research and cogent thinking in general. Perhaps it's the industrial-era value system still present that doesn't care to educate children on how to think for themselves and to understand the value of broad-learning.

I'm not a fan of Rogan quite honestly but he does have some solid guests on who tend to be influential.

18. No Gamers might like soundtracks from older games, and maybe single player games still hold some ground, but I don't know a single person besides myself that leaves music playing in a multiplayer game

Maybe it's because sound effects are useful sometimes, or maybe because we are usually on some sort of voice chat, but sometimes even when a game has music they will mute the music and turn on the soundtrack from another game in the background while they grind

Doesn't make a lick of sense to me, but it's pretty common.

Which is really sad because there's some extremely awesome stuff floating around there... the Wild Star soundtrack was really good, the Exiles had an extremely cool flavor to their music, sort of a weird east meets Western with technology thrown in the mix... and the Dominion theme is righteous

Other games I played had good soundtracks, but I swear that soundtrack is criminally underappreciated, considering the game itself had a pretty rough road

19. Believe me, I wouldn't be on JRE to talk about music... nobody gives a shit. If I ended up on his show, or Burr's, or Stern, or anybody, all they'd want to ask about is what it's like to fuck Winnie Cooper. I've been to that rodeo about a billion times, now.

20. Why is that so weird to me? I'm pretty sure you have more IMDb credits then her, and also it's extremely odd for me to think about grown men sexualizing a young girl character

I guess equally weird though is that I remember that show exactly when I was having my roughest time with puberty... and instead of sexualizing a character that was appropriate with my age, I was spending long nights with seven of nine from Star Trek Voyager.

Looking back at all my celebrity crushes as a child, I was really only interested in intelligent women characters, or strong characters AKA Sigourney Weaver.