1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Transportability down to the toddler level

Discussion in 'The RedBanned Bar & Grill' started by Jure Jerebic, Aug 15, 2019.

1. I wish Masterclass would do a Williams class. Would just be interesting to hear him actually talk about his process (Mike is really our closest and most thorough insight). I mean they have Neil Gaiman, Margaret Atwood, Annie Leibovitz, Penn and Teller, David Lynch, Werner Herzog, Martin Scorcese, etc for goodness sake. Why just Zimmer?

2. Cus he's too humble and that's not his style - probably the same reason why he doesn't have a star on the walk of fame either.

3. I don't doubt his humility, but what exactly is humble about not teaching?

4. He's just low key :)

5. He has taught for decades at Tanglewood. Plus the music itself is the teaching.

Jure Jerebic likes this.
  6. I didn't know he taught there as well. What's the whole Tanglewood thing anyways? I'm not that familiar with it, apart that he's conducting some concerts there.

7. #8 Rohann van Rensburg, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Oh I had no idea. You beat me to "the music is the teaching". I do suppose teaching composition in a multi-hour masterclass format is kind of a laughably poor way to learn compositional craft in any case.

8. He's done plenty of talking on the subject.

(this is an hour interview with him and Speilberg. Just watch on Vimeo)

9. #10 Rohann van Rensburg, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Thanks for this, I hadn't seen that Speilberg interview. Imagine working with a director who thought music was important enough to actually cut a scene from a film if the music wasn't working for it because of how the music revealed the nature of the story. What a different world.
    Also the "wink face" didn't show up on my post (damned phone and spotty internet), the quip about masterclass format was supposed to be ironic. As much as these are informative they're not really in-depth teaching topics or about the intricacies of Williams' process. Some of the people who have done them through the "Masterclass" site have also talked in depth about their process elsewhere, but the format is more along these lines and comes in multi-hour video format. I'm sure most people on this board would jump at the opportunity to purchase something like that. Not dissimilar to Mike's (although Mike's feel more casual and one-to-one and are considerably less expensive). I wonder if any of his teaching is recorded?
    Really it's just the fact that Masterclass has a long list of artistic icons (who may or may not be good at teaching) but all they have for composers is Hans.

Didn't mean to derail the thread in any case!