1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Transcription Requests

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Rohann van Rensburg, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Sounds pretty close to me; I'll see if I can dig that out. I'm sure it's somewhere. Either way, major props for doing it. Ye shall be rewarded. :)

2. Hey Francesco, really good work there. I was listening I think yesterday morning to the transcription just quick a couple of times and compared it to mikes demo. Maybe watch out one spot where I feel Mike puts in the bass some slight biting dissonances and that is at 34 seconds. I think is on G in the bass going downwards landing finally on D? Also I am not 100 percent sure about the Chords (right hand). His chromatic melody note is first I think doing a chromatic planning and then an inversion again of the previous upper chord but I have to look at that again..

3. Yeah sometimes with biting dissonances it's hard to figure out the bass note, especially when they're spread across different timbres. It's way easier for me to hear those on solo piano (although it might be because of my musical upbringing). I know for a fact that there is some funny business happening at 0:47 and 1:17 which I didn't get 100% right; I can't really put my finger on it though. Eventually, I decided to write down an approximation of it and move on! :D

I don't hear particular dissonances on that chromatic passages and I think I hear (from bottom to top): bassoon from E to A, clarinet from A to D, Oboe from C to F, Flute from E to A. However, I'm not sure which octave the flute is playing in, I think I hear it one octave up from everyone else; so I don't know if 2 flutes are playing in octaves or not. I'm pretty sure I overwrote that section, and I applied logic more than ear there: assuming that the flute is playing on the high octave, harmony should be filled with more parts, hence why I wrote that many voices and not 4. Strictly from what I'm hearing now, compared to the score, Oboe should be playing an octave lower and the clarinets playing from the high C and E should be removed.
    I am pretty sure of the overall chords though, and I'm pretty sure I don't hear jumps, the chromatic lines seem to be all descending.

Thank you for your input!

4. Oh well, after transcribing the Strings demo and the Woodwinds demo, I couldn't leave the brass section out! Here's the transcription for the Adventure Brass demo "Engaging the Fleet & The Escape! Transcribing this little cues is a lot of fun, there are a lot of interesting things to learn in them :)

Some crazy harmonies here, and noteperformer is muddier than usual (when trying to play brass sounds). Like always, not 100% but it does sound somewhat like the original.

For reference:

Score:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7dtx57l0vlkcyr/adventure brass demo mverta - Full Score.pdf?dl=0

Noteperfomer rendition:

5. Great job! Glad to see this thread alive. Can't wait for Mike's Woodwinds class.