1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

Through the Storm

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Louis Calabrese, May 20, 2018.

1. Hope everyone is well and enjoying this weekend!

Here is a sort of adventure piece wrote from ideas and theme's I've been toying with for awhile. My last few songs have had this triplet C-minor type feel (including the last one I posed on here) but I haven't found a cohesive idea I've liked. I'm curious as to what you think of this piece. Although I don't have a piano separate, the piano is featured heavily in here and it should be easy to follow what I'm doing.

Before I go any further I'd love your input on the piece!

Paul T McGraw likes this.
  2. This is a great piece. I love your use of different colors and your consistent use of the same elements. Very well done.

Louis Calabrese likes this.

3. Happy to see you knocking out tunes.

Won't repeat things I have posted to you before. Three suggestions

1. Percussion: Perhaps watch Mike's tutorial on the subject. It is capable of so much more color, and drive than it's current state
    2. Find a good transcription of full "Two Steps From Hell" orchestral scores. They need to accurate. While I could just tell you to transcribe them, for now it's too complex a task. Pay whatever. Quality over quantity. Then copy them out - note for note.
    3. Submit your music to libraries. You'll either begin getting honest feedback from the people who you are actually trying to reach ( I don't like TSFH personally or the genre, so I am not your target) Other sites, like audio jungle, let you submit while in your underwear at 2 am, and if each track you submit brings in 50-$100 a year....... great. If they get rejected you'll get more targeted feedback than from here.

All the best

PS. Did we buy a string run library ?

4. Thanks for the kind words!

5. Hey, thanks for listing Doug, and your feedback is always good to hear!

1 - I know it's light on percussion and it's something that's not a strong suit of mine. I have watched Mike's tutorial on the subject, but when I try to add it to my own work I find it's just layering and not adding true character. Specific suggestions on how to add some percussion to this piece would be appreciated.
    2 - I listen to a lot of TSFH and of the few scores I found they mostly use timps, epic dumns, snares and some synth drums (not that much). The scores are not the official ones but I will look at them more.
    3 - I could submit these to libraries but to be honest, as this is a hobby, I just want to write pleasing music that anyone around me might listen to. I'd like to write stuff more like Shore or Williams etc but I'm not there at this point. My best adventure type music sounds like TSFH. You guys have a high bar here and write amazing music. If my peaces pass your seal of approval, that's good enough for me!

Whenever I try to write runs in note by note I don't like how they sound so I thought about seeing what the ones in Albion One were like (got it on that sale upgrade for $99 awhile ago). I guess they stick out badly huh? If anyone has tips on this, I'd love to hear it.

6. Louis

Could you let me know what are you 3 or 5 all time favorite TSFH songs.

I can refer my comments back to them for the future

(sort of how a picture is worth 1000 words.)

7. Sure, make complete sense. I'm fond of their Vanquish album so any tracks would work in there -Enchantress, His Brightest Star Was You, and High Cs are all ones I like and feel this could be in vein of. Their Heaven Anthology Album is a bit more symphonic, maybe some good examples in there of how to break out of their typical stuff.

8. Also, that although more study of the source material would help my development greatly, I cant tell by your comments as to whether you think this piece is seriously flawed (missing melody, harmony, flow, structure, bad production value) or your statements indicate the base is ok but it could just use tweaking and more umf.

I know this type of music isn't your speed but as a talented composer you do still analyze as such.

9. The thing I dislike the most about TSFH is too much percussion. I'm glad you didn't go down that road.

Louis Calabrese likes this.
  10. Thanks! I'm going to add a little more percussion to it as Doug suggested, but try to be more on the accent side (not drown it)