1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

"The Race" Mock-Up: Approach to mixing traditional orchestrations?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Joshua Mallard, Jun 6, 2018.

1. #1 Joshua Mallard, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Hey all,

I've tried my hand at two small excerpts from "The Race" by Mike Verta. This was to nail down my template balance using parts of the score.While I get the feeling that the instruments are expressive and balance pretty well, I can't help but feel like it sounds too "roomy", maybe even muddy. Sure, it is cool that it has this odd kind of perspective, but is this kind of mix too "small" to be of use? Maybe I'm too used to these massive sounding tracks in Games. I'd appreciate any help!

Technical Details:
    - All samples are from EW Hollywood Orchestra Silver
    - Reverbs include a "RoomL", "RoomR", and a "Global Hall".
    - Tracks are broken down by section, and then instrument (Ex: String Stem ----> Reverbs ----> String Bus---->Cello Audio)
    - Very little eq done on the instruments. Cut off at 40hz on a few strings and a few bright or muddy frequencies in brass. Most of the reverbs have the 200-500hz area heavily cut.
    - The master came in very quiet, at around -15db before Normalization to 0.5, EQ, light Compressor, and Limiting/Maximizing.

Edit: Revision below!

2. First thing I would do is hear it totally dry. The orchestration works and that's the true balance, and it will provide a target to keep aligned to as reflections and tails are added.

3. #3 Joshua Mallard, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    I will have to be more careful then. I'm actually only running on 8gb of ram, so I do all my editing/orchestrating dry (All reverbs muted). I probably went overboard after balancing things for sure(probably even before too). This does work very well on paper, seeing as you wrote it! It's actually helped me a lot with my live orchestrations - that interlocking string writing always works! Great piece and thank you!

4. For anyone interested in the revisions, here is take 2!

5. I would probably work on a portion which features all the sections, however in this one I can tell you your violins are too loud relative to the other strings.

Joshua Mallard likes this.
  6. That's a good idea! I'll give it a go and turn those violins down. Hopefully, I can get a better result this time around. Thanks Mike!