1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

The Excelsior Class - Theme

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Alexander Schiborr, Mar 1, 2018.

1. In my own personal experience the "composer/musician" tribe is extremely generous. I mean, the very idea that we share info with "competitors" is really amazing and wonderful. Imagine bankers (or other cut throat industry) sharing best practices with each other.

Most musicians teach as a way to make a living, and some things just take a lot of time to explain.

I would be willing to wager $50, if you asked Alex who did that score in Sibelius, that this person also teaches and would be happy to be hired to show you the work-flow tricks.

I might be wrong, (happened before) but I have a feeling I am not.

giphy.gif

Matthias Calis likes this.
  2. I'm sure that unnamed individual is a good person (and his dog surely loves him) ... but I'm gonna hate him because he got the score done much quicker than I did.

Matthias Calis likes this.
  3. #23 Alexander Schiborr, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    I am keeping the the answers short because I am busy. But when more time I will answer more in complete:
    1. I study most of the time with my ears, that means I transcribe music. Sure I use scores for help and other sources, like midi sources in the internet which can be helpful. Also Youtube is a good source like you mentioned.
    2. I practise the stuff which means I sit on my butt and play the piano to learn the chords, licks, and get familiar with the harmonic language.
    3. When I feel I want to write a piece I use ideas based on what I have learned from Point 1+2. Process is:
    4. I create a 2 Handed Piano draft where I only concentrate on the composition, also I have a bit in my head the orchestration. Why? Because style, range, melody and harmony determines orchestration later. So they are connected to each other.
    5. When the piece is in progress or finished I start the orchestration. Therefor I use my template. Sometimes I start a blank empty project and build up a template while orchestrating or I use a pre existing one.

Chris Smith likes this.
  4. #24 Alexander Schiborr, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    @Chris Smith No, Doug created the score. I didn´t. We are still working on that. That means I have to add some stuff and do some corrections. And he will apply them to the score. Once finished we are realising the final result. Doug is a great guy and I would never say that I can do such things like he can, therefore he does because he knows much better than I how to do such things. And I am not a pioneer at all. Pioneers are people who where long time before me on the picture who started of doing things like that. When reducing that to only orchestral music, maybe people like Thomas is somehow a pioneer who showed already back in 2006 what samples can do. You can go also more back e.g. in the 90s. Goldsmiths Voyager Main title was also done with samples as a demo by him (afaik I know). Correct me if I am wrong ;)

5. #25 Alexander Schiborr, Jun 18, 2018 at 10:09 AM
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018 at 11:24 AM
    Ok, Guys, So here is the big update on the Orchestra Score Sheet. We are finished and I am very happy to be able to present to you the full score sheet of the Excelsior Theme.

It was a lot of work creating this and to be honest without Doug Gibson who prepared the score that happening wouldn´t be possible. Maybe @Doug Gibson You can later upload the score sheet for download here?

If some guys feel to throw some money at Doug, please do, he deserves some beers!
    If you guys have question let me know.

Thank you!
    EDIT: I am very curious how that would sound live..

6. Congratulations @Alexander Schiborr and @Doug Gibson on this amazing work. I would really love to have the Sibelius file to study and to see how it would sound using NotePerformer on my own system. Is that possible? I would gladly pay for a copy.

After reading about your workflow Alexander, I once again kick myself for never learning to play keyboard.

Alexander Schiborr likes this.