1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

That song which just blew your socks off... even though you were not sure what you just heard?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Janne Lepola, Apr 9, 2020.

1. #1 Janne Lepola, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Edit: Sorry if this ended up on wrong forum. My intention is to find inspirational, unusual and over everything great songs as by either structure, chord progression or arrangement, so this isn't just an "post your favorite songs"-thread. Please move to "Everything else" if that's more appropriate place.

So let's try digging up some great inspirational song-suggestions (genre is free) with the idea that when you heard the song it caught you by surprise. It was probably something you were not expecting or something which you couldn't comprehend for the first couple of run troughs, but you were finally convinced that "this shit's for real".

I'll throw few of my personal favorites:

Bon Iver - 33 God

I'm still just unable comprehend what's going on with this song even after listening it for the hundreth time. Surreal.

Little Dragon - Twice

How much can you do with minimalistic interpretation and few chords. Amazing stuff.

Puscifer - The Remedy

Tool... Perfect Circle... and The Remedy -- Music ain't always meant to be easy.

Dabin - Hold

I'm not that keen on generic dubstep or 2020's drum & bass, but this song has great atmosphere and how that drum pattern has been mixed @ 2:30 is just sick. I remember how I was thrown off listening to it for the first time. It has just an amazing flowing punch!

Bobby Womack - Dayglo Reflection

In my opinion it's just an amazing interpretion of classic lounge jazz with modern touch. I love the way those few chords are used over and over again.

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  2. Wow, so you are to the North of St. Petersburg.

That Lake Ladoga is for real! Now that is a lake!

3. Great idea for a post.

A few that come to mind, at least in the not-obvious and relatively-recent vein:

I love the weird but comprehensible structure, really threw me for a loop:

Didn't get it for the first listen, but after it clicked, so did the band:

A masterpiece of building towards a climax in the prog rock world:

The two aforementioned artists did a collaboration and this is what came out. Highly unexpected and one of my favourite records:

Had never heard anything like this before:

Love when songs like this just hit me. Hard to explain why:

A gorgeously textured, sort of surreal-esque bonus song from a lovely pop record that came out a while back. This record wrecked me and put me back together, probably one of my most profound emotional-musical experiences in recent memory. This song was very unexpected and really entrancing on first listen:

4. #4 Janne Lepola, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Once again, sorry for probably dropping this to wrong side of the Redbanned-forum. I really hope that these suggestions would still serve as something to inspire you either on your daily job as an background music, or just by being inspirational. I'm really looking forward for discovering great music from you guys & gals.

I decided to open a shared Spotify list "Redbanned - Covid Resistance Team". PLEASE DO PARTICIPATE and fill the list with great music. Still, please try to keep to posting individual songs instead of whole line of tracks from single artist and try to go for not-so-obvious choices to represent great unknown tracks for your fellows.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2eyhggtTFzOzq7FEyrYnp3?si=aKkFpa1-TRezAnvEkbbHRA

To @Doug Gibson,
    Never seen it, but heard that it's quite a view. It's kind of strange how far I feel (mentally) being from Russian border, even though in global perspective it's right around the corner. Still, never been on that side of the border.

To @Rohann van Rensburg,
    So Opeth & Porcupine Tree were mentioned that quickly! Well, there are so many great songs from both bands that it would fill whole thread if we continue those two. Storm Corrosion sounded really nice, I have to look into that later again. Same with Promise and the Monsters. I found Aurora just a while ago by seeing documentary, which was about music business vs artists personal creativity. It's amazing that she's so young and was able to create such an amazing first album.

If you like acoustic folkish moodish guitar-playing I would suggest checking out these few videos:

This ain't the original one, but amazing live-performance anyway!

Amazing minimalistic performance from Sweden. This reminds me a lot of the Twin Peaks -opening

This reminds quite a lot the video you posted (Jon Gomm). Very unique film-noir -stylish open-chord-slap-strumming

---

Edit:

I'm going to add two more pieces which have something strange in common, which I'm unable to really comprehend or explain. These both songs have really interesting C-part progression movement, which seem very similar even while played at different context. Could @Mike Verta or someone else give any insight on why these progressions work both emotionally and as an progression as they do, because I haven't been able to deconstruct this magic yet.

The Crow - "Rain Forever" . Check the progression starting at 2:08... beautiful.

And then compare it to this:

Alan Wake - "Deerfest" . Check the progression at 2:18 ... beautiful again, but.. I'm hearing something similar happening here as with The Crow, but I'm just unable to pinpoint whats the common nominator?

... and finally one more, which goes for Mike V. On live cast I mentioned Terminator Genisys -track and reusing the theme. Here is the sample which I mentioned on the chat. Same motive is used multiple times on record, but here it's modulated really well. Build-up starts at 1:51 and continues until modulation at 2:24. I really like how it's done... and to my knowledge Daniel James was helping to put up the synth-side of this soundtrack back in 2015.