1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

String Quartet - what now?

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Chris Smith, Apr 24, 2018.

1. I’m looking for helpful feedback on a string quartet … perhaps this is the place. [Warning: this music is neither 2 minutes nor ‘epic’; it’s 3 movements in 10 minutes.]

My plan while creating this was to use snippets of thematic material I had lying around in a chamber setting, and the VSL Solo Strings allowed me to do that. I also wanted to stay non-virtuosic and tonally simple.

Where I could use the perspective of others: does this music sound coherent? Is it stylistically interesting? Here’s a big one: now that it’s on paper, how does someone with a moderate profile in the local chamber music community (I’m a recording engineer with some string player connections but not a performing musician) get ensembles to take a serious look at music of this sort from someone who is not a “name composer”? Is this material too traditional (or, gulp, dull) to generate any excitement with regional ensembles?

Thanks in advance for feedback of any type (I’m also wanting to improve my rendering skills with Sibelius and VSL Strings). I have no qualms about creating improved versions of the piece. Hopefully I can provide the same sort of feedback for others as time goes on.

2. Hi Chris,
    Man, I don´t know what to say about the music. It is cool and interesting and so much different from what I listen to, so I feel that I am not that much of a help here to give you some feedback, but I feel maybe Doug Gibson @Doug Gibson knows much better to give you some feedback in that regards? Before I give some unacademic laughable suggestions I leave the field for some people with more experience in that regards.

3. I listened to the piece. I enjoy string quartets, I have a fondness for VSL instruments, and my interest lies more towards concert music than film and media music. So I started to play your piece with pleasant anticipation.

The sound quality is good, especially since you are using Sibelius rather than a DAW. Congratulations on achieving that.

I did not like the composition. You studiously avoided all CPE harmonicc usage, and all recognizable form. The result was that I really could not connect with this piece. I did go ahead and listen all the way to the end, as a courtesy.

4. I felt at times a bit disjointed not knowing where the focus of the motif is. First I thought the violins motif in the beginning, but then I got lost so quickly. This kind of music is really..different in terms of what I would say: Welcome you are at home and we lead you to things you expect. There is some sophistication inside the music still which I can´t deny but yet I have my problems to get a connection. (I am speaking of the first 2 1/2 minutes) before the pizzicato things come. I don´t want to use the term "random" maybe thats not the right word but it feels to me like listening to Hindemit or Alban Berg. It has some jazz elements inside which I find cool, some atonal stuff as well which is appealing, and yet..it is maybe to academical? I don´t know..

5. Hi Chris

Welcome to the forum. It's a good place.

There are too many points for me to answer at this moment. Each kind of need a lengthy reply. What I would suggest as a next step is
    to hire a single viola player and cello player. They can help you navigate the technical aspect and is also helps with your larger goal of finding people to
    perform your music.

Just looking at the image, before hitting play: See those "red" notes. Well those truly are redbanned (Dad joke) as they are hard to play. Outside of the low range of the Cello, string players HATE 5ths as double stops. It's so hard to keep them in tune.

Your Cello part has technical things too. Mainly to do with impossible bow jumps.

I'll circle back when I have more time.

Welcome, and I look forward to seeing more of your posts in the future

6. #6 Bradley Boone, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Hey Chris,
    Listened to your piece and read the above comments. It is an ambitious piece that could benefit from some editing and simplification.
    Some of the notation is unreadable in its current state (beat groupings, beaming, inconsistent markings, inconsistent text placement, etc.). I'll give some specific examples:
    • m.7 & m.8 - technique text below staff
    • m.34 - remove dotted-quarter rest (quarter rest, eighth rest)
    • m.35 - obscured beat 3 in Violin 1 (same figure at m.43)
    • m.43 - Violin 2 obscured beat 3 syncopation
    • m.70 - Viola obscured beat 3 (should read 8th, 8th tied to quarter)
    • m.108 - Violin 1 (should read quarter rest, dotted-8th rest)
    • m.112 - decell (ritard or a similarly familiar term for slow down)
    • m. 151 - uncountable

This is by no means an exhaustive list, but some engraving/music spacing/text conventions need to be followed for professional performers to read. Their time is expensive and the clearer the written part (and your musical intention), the more seriously the group will perform and play your work. More on this at the end of my post.

A couple of final recommendations on editing info:
    • Read "Behind the Bars: The Definitive Guide to Music Notation" by Elaine Gould. It is a pretty exhaustive reference of music engraving conventions (not much in the way of Jazz and Pop, but plenty of info about concert music and performing technique notation).
    • Grab some scores of your musical influences and analyze the heck out of them. Also read through some cornerstone repertoire for string quartet to get into the capabilities of that ensemble.
    ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
    On the simplification side, I think you should reconsider how complicated this is (rhythmically, articulations, double stops) for a chamber ensemble to perform. Like others have said, there's a stream of consciousness sound to some of the movements that's hard for the listener to follow. I hear motifs and themes, but not much "form" that gives some guideposts for listening. The harmonic language isn't tonal enough to ground many people with a sense of cadence or...this section ends, here's a new section, and here's the first section repeated (with or without variation). I like the rhythmic language (not written, but sounding) and I think that's as important in some genres of music as harmony/melody.
    That's what it sounds like on our end.
    The "technique" required I wouldn't describe as virtuosic, but it is quite challenging (some double stop intervals, some pizzicatos are too fast in the viola in one section if I remember correctly, the 7/8 section with changing metric emphasis). It also is not tonally simple. I'm not saying Haydn or Mozart simple, but your piece is pretty modern harmonically speaking.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----
    As far as getting your music played by live musicians, I highly recommend you make the score and parts legible. They've invested years of practice into their craft, and want to see that you are as invested in your's. The ensemble and technical difficulties of the piece you linked require pretty advanced players to perform(at least current graduate student level technique), and preferably an already existent group (not 4 random string players). So, a "typical" wedding quartet would not suffice. I'd recommend reaching out to (university) schools of music in your area and emailing the string coordinator to get in touch with a quartet. You may have to negotiate a rate to pay them as well. I'd recommend giving them a week to work it up, then go record them and take notes.

Hope some of this is helpful and welcome to Redbanned.

Paul T McGraw and John Eldridge like this.
  7. Thanks all for the feedback so far ... in fact, double thanks given this is probably not the normal fare.

Doug, you correctly interpreted the "redbanned" notes. After a student cellist at the SF Music Academy looked in horror at all the double-stop 5ths, I red-coded all the passages I thought might be difficult double-stops. The limited feedback on playability I got thereafter from a few local string players was "Yes, it can be played." That sort of blanket assurance was good but didn't really teach me much; if you circle back with more technical stuff it would be much appreciated - particularly impossible bow jumps.

Bradley, thanks for the examples re. text placement, beat grouping, etc. ... good guidelines for me to scrub the notations for more consistency. In the 7/4 section (bb 195+) I've generally beamed according to the accents, which occasionally broke me out of 3+2+2. I felt string players would find that easier to follow, but who knows. The too-fast viola pizz's are bb 222-3; good catch ... those would be shallow pizz's. [The VSL viola never complains!] I'll check out the Elaine Gould book. On my bookshelf I have dusty copies of "Music Notation" (Gardner Read) and "The String Quartet" (Paul Griffiths) ... now I need to actually read them.

Regarding hiring musicians ... never entered my mind, but a very practical idea. I've had two people tell me their group would give this piece a reading when they get a chance ... but I've learned that is the equivalent of "let's get together sometime." If the musicians were on my dime I would certainly be able to learn more about the performance difficulties and to compare the live performance to the VSL rendering. Your and Doug's feedback has convinced me this piece does present challenges for a "typical" ensemble.

On the actual content of the piece, I'm hearing "formlessness." Valid observation ... and a very large topic. I realize that part of my quest is the rather vague aesthetic question of whether motivically-inspired music, devoid of functional harmony and traditional signposts, can be offered up by an unknown composer and programmed by local performing groups devoted to "new music" and "modern classical." I go to these types of concerts and record these groups, and here in the SF Bay Area many of them play pieces that make this quartet sound like Happy Birthday. Since the stylistic breadth of "new music" is so vast, it's probably impossible to situate this particular piece in the domain, but strong opinions are still welcome (since the performing community isn't exactly beating down my door). Personally, as a consumer of music without traditional form, I will revisit a piece if something grabs me on the first listen. Usually what happens is the piece becomes more coherent each time I listen.

Alexander, thanks for trying to make sense of the music. It obviously didn't tickle Paul's musical sensibilities (... I'll get him next time :)).

Tonight, I may try the exercise of color-coding the various thematic fragments I employed into the Sibelius score, to see where they come in and where they are re-used. If it looks at all interesting I will attach a colorful PDF to this posting.

8. That is a good practice (beaming for the metric emphasis). It's when you have 3+2+2 & 2+3+2 & 2+2+3 for instance all at the same time that it can potentially lose the ensemble (I don't remember exactly the number of different groupings in that passage, but you get the idea). One thing you cannot do is 8th downbeat followed by a half note. The half note should be split into something that shows the emphasis that is in the background (m.204 is an example). Asymmetric meters (especially ones where the underlying subdivision is not constant), are a problem notation-wise. If there's a recurring 3+2+2 throughout in 7/8, or alternating 3+2/2+3 in 5/8 time, then you're in somewhat familiar territory. Your musical voice is whatever you feel it needs to be, but having a lot of rhythmic ambiguity in sections like that (multiple subdivisions simultaneously sounding) is like a chef telling me that they used Himalayan Pink Salt, Kosher Salt, and regular ol' Sea Salt in the preparation of the dish. Maybe there's a textural difference, but salt is salt on the tongue. A very imperfect analogy, but I'm trying to say don't over complicate things for complication's sake.
    Excellent resourses
    I've been on both sides of this as a performer and composer. I'll give my contact info and set something up if I really want to collaborate as a performer. On the composer side, they may have the best intentions but aren't really that interested (too busy, my piece isn't their cup of tea, they're being polite...).
    I'm one of those went-to-college-for-music-types. I've analyzed, written for, and performed in these types of ensembles. Then I graduated and got a job playing for the public. Academia (and those new music festivals) are where your piece can receive the mental attention this style needs. The wide world of pop music and lowest common denominator listening isn't looking to be mentally challenged to interpret music. They just want to consume it. So if you can get some of your pieces (of the style you shared) programmed/premiered at a new music festival associated with a university, then I would call it a win. Academia doesn't rely on subscription patrons.

On the impossible bowing topic, most composers write for instruments they don't play. Some passages/keys/techniques are more favorable than others, and some things just aren't idiomatic. Thinking about how the sound is produced and comparing what I've written to the mental catalog of works I've studied is how I try to frame my writing. Sometimes, I get it wrong, but it's probably a good place to start. If the cello strings are a perfect fifth, and the human (left) hand is only so big, and the speed at which they can change hand positions is limited by the tempo. then quick leaps over some large intervals just aren't likely to happen. VSL/Sibelius will play it just fine, but a live performer will hit a string in between, have an impossible bow change, etc. This can be overcome with some open strings, or smaller intermediate intervals to break up the large leaps. Look at Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 for how to write intervals using a lot of open strings, and traversing across 2 to 3 strings with intermediate intervals. Even better, throw up a score on one monitor and watch a YouTube clip of someone playing it on another. Here's another resource with some graphics on hand positions/strings. Maybe a "real" string player can comment on the site's info. (I'm a brass player and have some conflicts with the low register & alternate brass fingerings posted there, but the bulk of it is right for brass).

9. Sure. Forgive me, I have only had time to listen to brief passages of your piece. One spot that caught my eye for bowing was around 37-41.

Impossible might be too strong. However I would not send you a Christmas card if I were the Cellist. The F can only sound on the C string, and the G will of course be on the D String. This means they have to pick up the bow and skip the G string each time. Since you have staccato markings.... it's do-able... what you have written means they will have to break the sound. I might even suggest just notating a quarter note and eighth rest. I am not a fan of longer notes have a staccato. (ie. half note staccato in 4/4) It's not "wrong" but I feel the rests show clearer the musical intention.

The other point, is you are kinda "burning fuel" If you simply had the F and G right next to each other and say alternated F-G on the C string then the D string.....a walk in the park. This is were it's also about economy of effort vs reward.

I have shared on this forum before about spending a summer a long time ago at a school called Interlochen in Michigan. The composer (I was the guitarist for the new music ensemble) copied and pasted a flute part for the guitar part. Yes, it was all "in theory" playable.... but it felt like blue bananas.

It's hard to describe. Just remember the strings are curved and the bow has to react to this. Also for the cello their arms go across their body when bowing as opposed to the vertical bowing of violins and violas. This makes a big difference, and why a lot of ostinato figures are given to violas. They can use gravity and not tire out as quickly as the cellos.

Let me know if that all makes sense

Cheers !

10. Academia (and those new music festivals) are where your piece can receive the mental attention this style needs. The wide world of pop music and lowest common denominator listening isn't looking to be mentally challenged to interpret music. They just want to consume it. So if you can get some of your pieces (of the style you shared) programmed/premiered at a new music festival associated with a university, then I would call it a win. Academia doesn't rely on subscription patrons.

Bradley - yep, I think you've nailed the situation. Music can have many functions, and for some of them, instant understanding is needed.

On the impossible bowing topic, ...

It seems someone could strike it big ("hella bank" as my kids say) if they could leverage the experience of actual musicians to create a computer program that took a MIDI file of notes intended for a particular instrument, and spit out a textual explanation of the difficulties of execution, bar by bar. Very useful as a check-out tool for the composer, who would otherwise need to chase actual performers, as I have had to do. In handbell music (I'm a long-time ringer) we have the concept of Levels 1-5 difficulty. Handbell groups often have novice ringers, so selecting music by Level is quite important.

On the subject of idiomatic writing, the String Quartet canon is quite wide. Conceiving the parts as separate flowing lines would make it more likely string players would actually enjoy playing the piece. But lots of 20th century quartets were not written that way, and I'm afraid my quartet does not get high marks either. Maybe that means it would mainly appeal to those intrepid ensembles that are devoted to "new music."

11. Yep ... I'm afraid it does make sense. You're giving me a lot of homework. Much needed :)

12. Chris....... Let me say this more in the hope it is a contribution to your musical growth than endearing myself to you.

I mean the following in the kindest, nicest way possible:

Don't make me reach thru the internet and bitch slap you silly.

First..... write the music you love and die happy. Cut out all the other shit.

If you wish, at a later date I can write a post about "how to get your music performed". It's just too long for me to do this now.

We live in a "Meta" zeitgeist. A quartet will play angular modern stuff one week, and then Cannon in D at a wedding the following. No one gives a shit
    in the concert world wether your music is tonal, or atonal or post-tonal. Have something to say. Don't worry about them so much.

Also, a great deal of string quartets are made up of professional orchestra players --- which means they are already like abused children.
    You think big ego conductor is worried ?

Feel the burn ........ don't shy away from asking players

I am sure someone could. However it would never be worth very much. Let me explain;

I was trying to learn how to write for the solo harp. My next door neighbor happens to be one of the best harpist in the US.
    Check out her playing below:

So I asked her: What composers should I study in order to learn about great solo harp writing.
    She said: Britten. He collaborated with the harpist for the London Symphony so all the parts are very idiomatic and really detailed.

Cool. So fast forward two week. I am composer in residence for a orchestra in Australia called Orchestra Victoria. (in Melbourne)

I ask the harpist: What composers should I study in order to learn about great solo harp writing.

She said: I don't really know........but whatever you do .... do not look at the works of Britten. They are un-playable and awful He had this virtuouso
    for the London Symphony and she could play anything.

The moral............. Put me behind a Cello and put Yo-yo Ma behind a Cello and two dramatically different results. The Cello, nor the bow, is any different.

You can find string quartet music arrange by difficulty. Just look through strings magazine, and also every publisher targets public schools so they all have catalogues with say Level 3 or 5 etc.

Another thing you could do...... is look at summer music festivals and camps. These are wonderful ways to make connections. I have no idea where Santa Clara is, but for a long time the St. Lawerance string quartet has a summer string quartet residency for professionals and amateurs alike. This is at Stanford. Just go....... or to a similar if you really want a string quartet. Think about it..... would you be more open to performing a work with someone who you spent a week with, got to know or someone who "cold calls". You will learn so much by just being a fly on the wall.

I've done the very thing I am suggesting and absolutely it makes a difference. Plus you will write better.

Lastly..... it's too much work to write highly difficult music that you don't like just to get it played. I've done it... a lot. I was doing the competition thing
    as I felt I need those for my CV as academia has a "Up or out" slant. This piece I am attaching below was the piece that made me say....enough.

I learned so much writing it, however the whole rehearsal and litening back to it...... it just felt like someone else. I said to myself "I may as well
    try and find a cure for cancer" if I am working this much and hating it.

Have confidence. There is an audience and performers for your music. Chill out, become jaded/cynical and people will naturally think you are a pro !

The worse piece of my life (and that's saying something !)

13. Chris, @Doug Gibson does it again with some sage advice.
    As a former music teacher, there are several states that have music education committees "rate" the difficulty of music for performance by secondary school students. Without going into the specific guidelines of how they determine a piece's difficulty, I can recommend Florida and Texas's prescribed music lists as jumping off points. The highest rated difficulty works are basically collegiate repertoire and the lowest for beginners, so the numbers do not exactly match up with 1 grade = 1 year of school/private instruction, but you get to see it on a continuum.

Thumbs up.

Thanks for sharing your music and story. On the performer's side of that situation, I have played a fair amount of repertoire for solo artist competitions and had a couple of main impressions when preparing a new piece:
    1. The composer collaborated with someone who knows how best to write for my instrument(s). "The technique is challenging, but appropriate with reasonable preparation."
    2. The composer studied existing repertoire and is challenging my technique. "Damn, I need to practice."
    3. The composer has never heard my instrument(s) and the selection of this piece is to punish the performer. "WTH were they thinking? This piece will be played a handful of times and never be a standard in our repertoire."

14. Some folks are lucky enough to (i) write music of a style that has instant appeal to a broad audience, and/or (ii) create music collaboratively, thereby getting reinforcement during the process. You’re doubly lucky if you’re getting paid for your work *and* loving it … as Christian Henson apparently is (not to pick on him). All the same, I’m pretty sure there is an army of solitary non-professional creators like myself hunkering over MIDI keyboards and sample libraries wondering how their music will ever get a hearing. Since I have a little mileage on me, I remember the days when we would give friends a tape to listen to. Now with YouTube and SoundCloud, pure distribution is not an issue … but sheesh, there are thousands of people to listen to out there.

Personally, my value system has shifted over the years. I seem to have less interest in simply creating a purely electronic song whose only existence is as an audio file, as the end goal, and would rather use the tools to create something that is embodied in a score that can be performed by humans. I’m not saying that is a more valid goal, just where I am.

That would be an excellent posting topic – and you’ve provided a couple of ideas already. My wife is a novelist (one novel) and I have developed downloadable software in the past. In both cases, we did what we loved without regard to the eventual audience and ended up with something that needed lots of work to get engagement with the public. We are both wiser now and would definitely do more research up front before our next projects … because ultimately the love of pure creation was not enough, the satisfaction comes from knowing you’ve done something useful. [Creativity = Novelty + Utility]

I listened to your “worst piece” … yes, that sort of jagged writing is very laborious, sometimes the scores have a ridiculous amount of markings. I liked the more tranquil part starting around [2:30]. To echo what you’ve said about liking your own music: after I completed the quartet, I discovered you can submit these things to ensembles that put out a “call for scores” on the Web. I got a polite email back informing me I had not won (“200+ submissions of excellent quality” … reminded me of the author who wrote back to the publishing company “I’m sorry that I will not be able to accept your rejection letter. I have simply received far too many excellent rejections and cannot consider any more at this time. Good luck with your future rejections.”) My natural response to this news was an urgent desire to know, bar-by-bar, what I had done “wrong”. I did not ask – imagine having to explain in detail to 200 composers why they did not win – but it occurred to me that, had I been intending to enter the piece into such contests from the beginning, I would have thrown in lots of flashy violin runs and generally made the piece more violent and emphatic. I’m sure I would not have liked the piece much after that.

15. This certainly makes sense. Regarding #1 above, some lucky composers get commissioned by performers and can therefore get direct feedback during the process.

It sounds like Doug has escaped the shackles of academic music ... and that's got to be liberating. I never had the academic jackboot on my throat but I did take a hankering to various forms of modern music, particularly Stravinsky. I have a lot of his scores from the Russian period. Only recently have I tuned into film music, and the excitement there is not only the high level of skill needed to create short snippets of beautiful orchestration, but that some of the creators are actively online discussing it in these forums, and using sample libraries that are within reach.