1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Louis Calabrese, Jun 4, 2018.

1. I did this mockup for study purposes to improve my writing. It's a medley of selections from the Force Awakens as outlined by Johnnie Vinson's arrangement. It's only half complete, as there are 2 sections remaining, but I think it's a solid start.

At first I try to figure out as much as I can but it's difficult for me and I had a few versions of the scores for help. It's amazing to see what he does, just things I would never think of. I'll keep doing these and try to apply it to my work where I can. Opinions always welcome!

Paul T McGraw likes this.
  2. I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I'd love some feedback on this mock-up as it will undoubtedly help my future work. As a side note, in listening over lots of Star Wars lately, I realized how much I enjoy the music from the Phantom Menace. The music JW writes for the battle scenes are long but the constant modulation keeps is fresh throughout.

3. Overall it sounds fairly good. Great job with instruments and articulations. The balance of frequency (highs, mids, lows) seems way off to my ears. Your mix sounds top heavy. Also it seems too dry. You need to at least sound like it is in a large studio because you have a full orchestra. What you need is someone with younger ears, like @Aaron Venture or @Alexander Schiborr to give a listen and provide some advice. I am afraid to give anything specific, since I could be off. (I have some hearing damage in my 65 year old ears.) But don't stop working on this. You are close, and the kind of changes I am talking about are easy and global, not really much work to make these kind of changes.

Louis Calabrese likes this.