1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Short orchestral piece - critique/advice needed

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Stan Kirejew, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Haven't touched it yet, been busy with my day job and doing the exercises as per Doug's suggestion. I tried copying scores and was actually surprised how much I got out of simply copying several bars. So, I will definitely continue doing that.

I would have to re-write the piece completely as a fully fledged piece or change the melody. I don't think it's possible to express the idea I had in mind within 1m30s. Hope to get to it soon, though.

Phillip J. Faddoul likes this.
  2. Cool. Looking forward to it.

3. One thing that throws me off in the beginning is that I can't really feel the meter. Typically meters are broken into 3s or 2s. So 9/8 might be 3-3-3 or 3-2-2-2-3 or 3-3-2-2-2 etc. If you accented on those subdivisions it might be easier to follow along. Especially with the rubato performance it's difficult to follow.

On the sample side, you might shape your notes with CC1 and/or CC11 to avoid the big organ sound.

4. Sam and Doug: Thanks for the helpful links and pointers, I'll be adding this to my schedule over the next few months.