1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

Sad but inevitable news....

Discussion in 'The RedBanned Bar & Grill' started by Michael Antrum, Mar 10, 2018.

1. John Williams has announced that the next Star Wars Movie will be his last.

https://news.sky.com/story/veteran-...says-next-star-wars-will-be-his-last-11280922

I pretty much imagine that when taken with the news that he is leaving all his scores to the Julliard school, that he is, at last, sadly hanging up his pencil and baton.

I am very fortunate to have a couple of tickets to An Evening with John Williams at the Royal Albert Hall in London in October. I understand it his first event in the UK for 22 years. An event I am now looking forward to with a tinge of the bittersweet.

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  2. I fucking gasped.

What a career that man has had. And he's still writing at this age. I don't think he's laying down his pencil, though. I think he'll die by his piano with pen and paper at hand. He just won't be doing Star Wars anymore.

3. There's no reason to do Star Wars anymore. It isn't Star Wars anymore.

4. I'm happy with that.

I'd rather him score what he wants, he's earned it. If he retires and just writes random stuff when he feels like it - that's cool too. At this point, If John Williams wants to put mayonnaise on his pizza - as long as he's doing what he needs to in order to be happy, it's no skin off my back.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002354/

he left no small amount of enjoyment for us and future generations. If we're lucky his absence will be sorely missed - and we might see a comeback of truly thematic writing. All in all, I'd love to see him go out strong - rather than push himself to mass produce works he isn't happy with, in a format he's not happy with - just to have Disney fumble the IP that John Williams himself had a huge hand in building.

5. #6 Alexander Schiborr, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Just from my perspective: Give that old man a damn break. I am really happy to hear that he is not doing the star wars franchise. And by the way: even if that sounds hard to some of the fans: Star wars is deader than dead. This franchise was already over after the first prequel, at least for me. The soundtracks in the prequels were still big though. Now disney does all these kinds of spin offs, first this rogue one, now comes I think a star wars show, right? then the next spjn of Han Solo. Omfuckin God..please someone stop this madness and blow up their headquarters...It is painfully to see how once 3 big movies done with juvenile spirit pulled into dirt. ok, this is a way off topic of course, so for me: Glad JW leaves..and why: There is nothing in left to find a reason for watching new SW movies anymore.

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  6. I think this is great. Not because of the state of the franchise or anything like that, although I agree on that front.

The reason I believe it's great is that I think that the way that The Last Jedi scoring process was conducted was complete bullshit. There were no spotting sessions or talks with the director, they just had a music editor recut music from TFA with Ryan Johnson and they gave that to JW and said: "Here's what we want". So... Music was treated as an afterthought with John Williams scoring. What the fuck, dude? Not even a spotting session? I would give my right arm to sit down with JW for a few hours to discuss dramatic intent and how music can help a film.

I know he's staying for the last film because he wants to finish the musical arc for Daisy Ridley's character, he's said that much. But I hope he just works on stuff that sparks his interest from now on.

Alexander Schiborr likes this.
  7. Yeah, no spotting sessions when you've got John Williams? That's madness. And speaking of musical arc (as in dramatic arc) as absurd as it might sound at this point we'd get a better film if Williams was in the director's chair, in my opinion.