1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

over-developing?

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Lauri Koivisto, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Hi,

where do you think goes the line of over-development? I made a piano sketch where i developed the main melody to a multiple different melodies. Somewhere i though did i go too far, meaning do i ”need” to keep repeating the initial main melody.

If you have time to listen the piece and give some feedback, i’d be happy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/csodju3nejiwstr/lauri_koivisto_development.wav?dl=0

Thanks,

Lauri

Saša Vranić likes this.
  2. Hey Lauri, fantastic sketch I like it.
    Now, I understand your thoughts and you can follow some classical rules for pieces like this (it likes to some kind of etude) but I would say f... the rules :)

3. Did I miss the development ? I don't know....... hmmm...... what "Over-development" is, but
    listening to the piece, I felt there was way too much repetition. We never really leave "the middle"........

What kind of a piece are you trying to write ? What kind of drama, or musical technique are you exploring ?

I do come from a classical background, so I was actually prepared for much more variation.

So..... No it is not over developed, it is under developed would be my reply.

4. #4 Alexander Schiborr, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Hey Lauri,

Nice melodic piece. Well as it comes to my own taste and understanding of development ( I come from this silvestrian / Williams kind of school), I say that your piece develops just a little. Development has not only to do with changing melody notes but more importantly to change moods also. You are more or less in the same mood for the 4 minutes which feels after a while jarring to me. When I develop musical ideas I try to feature them in a new look. A very basic example could be a melody in major which is later featured in a minor context. Probably you try that here too, but it is not that clear. The use of different modalities can help. Also what I encourage you to do more is to feature surprise harmonies. A common technique here are modal inflections. I could make you a long list of techniques to create more interest which leads to more development in your track, but here are some:

quite vs. Loud
    fast vs. slow
    uplifting happy - dark / sombre
    intervallic vs. stepwise motion
    diatonic writing vs. modal writing (interchanges)
    etc.

Al lot these aspects doesn´t show up in your piece and they are imo integral parts and techniques for developing a piece.

Also what Doug already mentioned, you never leave the midrange with your melody, it is pretty much left hand lower notes and in the midrange the melody on the right hand. When you would orchestrate it would be difficult to make it interesting because you stay in the same range all the time which limits the way of orchestrational instruments and therefore choices to create color changes. I like the melodic piece, and I feel after 3 minutes everything is said. You can even wrap that up even a little. I neither don´know your background nor I know your goals in composition, but to answer your 1st question: This piece is def. NOT over-developed at least in my opinion. In the end: Go by what you like to write. If you think that your piece is fine, there is nothing wrong with it at all. Nobody needs to learn classic filmmusic development techniques to be a succesful composer in the media.

5. Very good advice. :)

6. Thanks for feedback! My concentration on the sketch was on melody, not on ranges so thats why its all on mid range. What the main point of my question was, if i start to develop melody, for the coherence, do i have to re-instate the original melody? Thats why theres so much structural repetition.

Structure is:
    INTRO
    A
    A
    B
    "INTRO"
    C
    A
    C
    INTERLUDE
    A
    D
    B
    E

Thanks!

7. (I love that I log into this site for 2 minutes and immediately learn something)

8. Perhaps you could say a little more on what affect you are hoping to convey to the audience. This way any comments I might think of will be (hopefully) more revenant to your goals than just offering a critique.

Also, a good exercise for concentrating on just melody writing is to loose any accompaniment. Just a single line. For example imagine you have to write for solo flute/ or oboe, or if you need more flexibility Solo Cello or other string instrument.

Anyhow.......nice to hear your music.

Alexander Schiborr likes this.
  9. Take the Structure class.

Alexander Schiborr likes this.
  10. You changed indeed some things which is good, I enjoyed some sections. Though some parts you need just to well develop more and build them more up. Over all I would say the structure of the whole piece could be still wrapped up. I know it is not easy. Just focus on the important things. THrough modulation and interesting orchestration you can keep simple motives alive and last longer. One other suggestion: Write short pieces, lets say 2 minutes or something. Say the most important things in that time. Build a structure like:

Intro v -10 seconds (optional)
    A Section (stated twice) - Your motif - 30 seconds
    B Section (Stated twice) - Motif derived from A Section but with a different harmonic - 25 seconds
    Bridge 10 seconds
    A Section (2x) - intensified - 30 seconds
    B Section (Stated twice) Take ideas from the first b Section but go other ways, introduce a slight new idea for it - 30 seconds
    Finale - 15 seconds

= 2 1/2 minutes around

Thats already challenging shit to work on..

11. Agree, well said.
    Just listened mockup again, but I must add that you need to level properly all sections (best you can). From time to time it seams that some sections are to quite, and because of that it seams like section is empty compared to previous one or next one.
    Most important and hardest thing is to keep piece interesting. I'm running same problem constantly, especially when I'm diving with piece for days.