1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

Ode to Dreams

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Samuel Diaz, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Hi everyone,

Here is a simple composition that I started on piano recently and will eventually mock up but I'm looking to make it longer so any thoughts and feedback on it so far would be greatly appreciated. I feel it could use some improvement development and structural wise as well.

Sam

2. It's a lovely piece. I like the use of the bM7 early in, and the M3 substitution, and the later M6 to modulate from F to G.
    Depending upon what kind of arc you are looking for, you could do things like, play the chords in key a bar, before doing the bar with the non-traditional chords
    (precede 4 M3 4 5 with 4 3 4 5 for instance).
    Or if you are looking to extend the piece for much longer with a freer emotional arc, you could opt for more varied modulations.
    The semi and full tone upwards modulations you use from the key of F to G, usually signify a climax to the progression (truck drivers gear change modulation),
    leaving the piece feel completed instead of ready to keep exploring new ground.
    There are all sorts of modulation cliff notes online such as this one. http://www.jamesmstevens.com/f/Modulation_to_Any_Key.pdf
    Good luck. I'm still a beginner with this stuff, but I hope it helps.