1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

NotePerformer 3

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Paul T McGraw, Jun 1, 2018.

1. The newest update to NotePerformer 3 (a virtual instrument specifically for Sibelius, Finale and Dorico) makes some big changes compared to NotePerformer 2. And Wallander is providing this major update FREE to all registered purchasers. Who does that these days? I like the changes, and find the sound even more realistic than previously. I would really like to hear what other members think about it.

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  2. I'm a big fan. Mostly. For orchestra it already was enough for me, and even more so now.

My biggest wish going forward would be some of the other instruments getting better sounds. Choir, classical guitar, etc.
    Noteperformer is the biggest "no brainer" purchase I can think of.

Paul T McGraw likes this.
  3. It's pretty amazing, without doing any midi editing/sample scrolling/template building, you can hear this played back to you.

4. The percussion sounds much, much better now. And the brass is able to pull off aggressive stuff more convincingly. Strings also sound much better. Can't believe this is a free update.

5. I will still use Cubase with samples for a final finished piece, but this certainly is amazing. And a FREE update. Just amazing.

6. Paul T McGraw and Aaron Venture like this.
  7. Hey @Doug Gibson, would you mind posting the render or Mike's Batman Simulator? I'm really interested in comparing it with the NP2 render. Thanks!

8. Sure. Here you go. The most interesting thing is the dynamic differences in spots between the two. I have not changed any dynamics on the actual score.

Question AV Styles: If I was to party with Pablo Escobar for a few days in the future is there a MV cue you would most like to see transcribed ?

Paul T McGraw and Aaron Venture like this.
  9. Thanks. Pretty obvious differences, especially in brass and percussion. The whole thing sounds so much more lively. What a glorious update from Wallander.

Since you didn't link NP2, I'll save you the trouble:

I've transcribed a lot myself, although I don't create a score for it (I try to get all the notes down on a piano and then try to orchestrate it myself, then listen how it was actually done). I'll definitely start creating scores too.

If I had to pick one (except The Race), I'd say Abby vs. The Sea. Really fun piece that has a lot of subtleties - every couple of days I'll listen to this piece and discover a new thing. While I don't think you'll need a lot of Hollywood rails for it, you might be just looking for an excuse so... yay away :D

10. You're a god man. I was never going to. (L-A-Z-Y)

You read me like a book.

Aaron Venture likes this.
  11. Google "Three days snorting cocaine" > Open 4th result > copy

Ah, have fun!

12. Wow, wasn't looking into this before, but may now. Musescore has been wonderfully helpful, but I have to say hearing Timp rolls that remind me of my army days carrying a 7.62 machine gun aren't really that inspiring, among other things. Will have to see if I can integrate it, or make the switch. I do wish Notion was more popular, seems to integrate with S1 well but I can't find a great deal of feedback on it (positively).

13. Just came across this. Pretty impressive!

14. This seems like a more musical "composer-centric" feature than MIDI, in a way -- if a program like this can be detailed enough to pick up the subtleties in dynamics and performance, I may well switch to it. MIDI performance can be fun but it sure isn't musically inspiring to have to try and wear an engineer's hat while composing.

15. Yep, that's for sure. Even though it's still a computer performing the music. I like the balance and the respect of each articulation but in some places, the phrasing feels very robotic and it will never match a real performance - Anyway, I think this is an awesome tool for anyone who wants to learn or get better at orchestration. But completely switching to that? I don't know... Do you think a Noteperformer rendering could work as a final product?

16. Eh good point. Was more thinking of at-home mockups, not a delivered piece. Arduous MIDI performance gets one as close to possible to real performers, but there's no way MIDI (and definitely not this) will replace real performance.

It's more that it's annoying to write something in Musescore or the like and have to mock it up to hear it properly.

17. Yes, and that's a way better option for anyone who's starting out - We all know what damage VI can make in the hands of an untrained composer. At least Noteperformer has the right balance and the right articulations. I definitely made progress since I started using it.

18. #18 Paul T McGraw, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    @Aaron Venture and @Doug Gibson and @Claude Ruelle and @Rohann van Rensburg would really appreciate comments on the following.

After working with NotePerformer 3 to do mockups of classical works and my own pieces and then doing the same mockups in Cubase with samples here are three generalized observations:

1) N3 does a great job with the balance between sections and instruments. This is simple with N3 (though still not perfect) and a constant cause of uncertainty for me when working with samples.
    2) N3 copes very well with dense orchestrations, doublings and blended textures. Samples (at least for me) often get muddy in dense orchestrations, and a blended texture (more than 2 things going on at once) often seems muddy with samples.
    3) Despite the above, samples still sound more realistic when well programmed or when potential problems are simply avoided. If a complex texture is not going to sound clear, just don't use a complex texture.

OK, I need opinions, because I doubt my own observations. Am I right? Wrong? Partially correct?

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  19. Could you post examples?

An NP3 render and a mockup of the same excerpt that you think sounds muddy. That would help me give you (more) accurate advice.

20. I would imagine there's more subtlety left (comparatively) in samples due to the flexibility of expressively playing, vs programming in notation software that tends to retain linearity in dynamics. I haven't used N3 though so I'd love to hear examples.

I understand the perks of dry samples now though. As much as i.e. Air Studios sounds wonderful, you can't realistically have 6 separate string voices, plus the other parts of the orchestra, all using the most reverb-heavy mic positions without it sounding like a huge reverb wash.