1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

My First Live Recording — Need Feedback

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Abdulrahman Al-Othman, Nov 26, 2018.

1. #21 Rohann van Rensburg, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    I've never recorded before and I couldn't help but think $200 was a good deal for such a result. That's not to rag on your accomplishment -- this is exciting and I enjoyed your composition, the players also did well considering. But it didn't sound like you recorded with the finest players of anything at their full potential, if I'm being honest. The only reason I say this is because this probably could have been an amazing performance if they had been given more time.

I echo the thought -- why not delay gratification and save more for a proper recording? A few hundred dollars may be the difference between "professional" and "not reel-worthy". Is it scheduling restrictions within the orchestra?

I'd encourage you to watch Mike's Brass Masterclass if you haven't already, to get an insight into studio time more than anything.

2. I enjoyed your composition, the players also did well considering
    Thank you very much! Yeah, I guess I have something to do with it. I gave them a motivation speech before the recording ;)

But it didn't sound like you recorded with the finest players of anything at their full potential
    Sadly, I wouldn't call them the "finest" players. The recording happened on budget. This company targets those who wants to build their portfolio with a live sound and at the same time with not so much cost. That is why you get what you pay for. Don't expect them to record your music in a hall like Abbey Road and performed with the finest British players and mixed with Abbey Road top engineers for $200. But like you said, they did good regardless.

why not delay gratification and save more for a proper recording? A few hundred dollars may be the difference between "professional" and "not reel-worthy".
    Well, a "few hundred dollars" it's easier said than done. I couldn't possibly afford that much. My piece would require more than $1k to be recorded professionally. It's way out of my league.

Is it scheduling restrictions within the orchestra?
    Not at all. It is just for purpose-use only. Something to add to my portfolio.

I'd encourage you to watch Mike's Brass Masterclass
    It's on my purchase list. Just need to finish the other classes first ;)

Note: A review about this experience will be dropped in my channel today.

Bradley Boone likes this.
  3. Here's the promised review. View it in this thread and share your comments with everybody!

4. I really loved the piece! thank you for posting, always inspiring to hear talented composers

Abdulrahman Al-Othman likes this.
  5. Aw, thank you so much!
    Believe me, I'm no talented composer. Just a regular guy trying to teach himself how to write classical music.