1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

Mockup in progress - Jumanji

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Noam Levy, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Maybe a trick for getting EP1C horns: I was watching Junkie XL's class on Tomb Raider and he was boosting the crap out of 100Hz. Starting from Cinebrass which are already plenty epic.

2. Was that in the most recent episode (#4)??

3. I don’t think so. It was the one where he was comparing the samples, orchestra, and a mix of both. He just showed the Fabfilter EQ on the horns and there was this massive bump around 100Hz.

4. #24 Aaron Venture, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    @Jeff Laity You mean a bump like this?

upload_2018-4-9_23-36-34.png

Actually, this is just a 1.5dB gain :D

upload_2018-4-9_23-37-44.png

The visuals depend on the visual range, upper right corner.

upload_2018-4-9_23-38-16.png

5. I mean some boosts for horns in that region can help to get horns a bit more thickness and bolder sound. But I general I avoid such boosts. And junkie XL writing style is also ...tied to this kind of production methods a lot. Normally by boosting to extreme you also change the timbre quite a bit and the weight and therefore the balance. I would at least by boosting trying to keep an eye on the volume. Another aspect is how distant the horns are in the mix. By boosting at 100 HZ they get much more body and that might sound strange when having them ambient in your mix. My conclusion: I would be careful with those extreme boosts.

Paul T McGraw likes this.
  6. I know, but I remember him saying the amount of boost and it was like 8dB.

7. Damn, that makes no sense :confused: CineBrass low end is rather fine as it is.

8. Is this what you are all talking about?

9. #29 Noam Levy, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Didn't have much time this past week (helping a composer on some TV specials) but I finished the brass this evening. Hoping to get the strings and winds down this weekend.

In a way this mockup is turning out more challenging than the Harry Potter one! The project right now is 39 stems of brass, 25 stems of percussion, and I guess there will be 45 stems of strings and probably 10 stems of winds.... therefore around 120 stems, which is more than the 90 or so stems on the Potter piece. But the Harry Potter piece was "easy" in the sense that there was a 1:1 correspondence between each musical part and one library playing it. Here that just didn't work, initially I wanted this to be a demo of "just" Adventure Brass + Adventure Strings but they will need heavy backup.

I'm not satisfied with the tempo lock on this one so I'll probably revisit that before bouncing final stems.

10. Sounds great, man! Pretty close to the reference track. Looking forward to hearing the full version.

11. Sounds great!

12. damn noam, sexy, as usual

I take it you applied Aaron's LP/HP reinforcement?

That said, the two together sounds great

13. Nice! The percussion makes it sound much more aggressive than the original.

Do you happen to know where was the score recorded?

14. #35 Noam Levy, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Thanks Kyle!

Aaron - Yep, at MGM/SONY. Our final mix is more spacious than that though (we needed it to get CSS/Fluid Shorts to sit well with the brass).

Aaron Venture likes this.
  15. Thanks! I'm surprised at how non-wet the original sounds. I wouldn't say dry, but not overly wet either. Great stage sound.

I like your 'big' version too. You can't scale something down, really, so the decision is completely understandable :D

Noam Levy likes this.
  16. Noam Levy likes this.
  17. Wow, it sounds amazing Noam!

Noam Levy likes this.
  18. Thanks John & Sean :)