1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

Mike's "TRON" Music

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Mike Verta, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Wendy (Walter) Carlos' score for the original 1982 TRON is one of my all-time favorites; so much so that I've deliberately never analyzed it or over-thought it. Somewhere in the back of my mind I secretly knew what it was, but I didn't want to "spoil" the thing of it, which has always sounded sort of magical to me.

But, my son has fallen in love with the original TRON, and he went to transcribe it...*

My brain right away heard what I'd suspected: it's basically a string of diminished and augmented chords plus a lot of 4ths. You just swap out/layer some of the traditional orchestral instruments with vintage synth versions - a couple "brass" patches, a "string" patch or two...

As an experiment, I took a score I just finished for a kid's show, where I'd written a lot of such figures and just layered in some quickly-programmed patches from vintage VSTs (TAL U-NO-X, OP-X II, Aurtia's Jupter and CS-80, etc.)...

The result wasn't just sort-of TRON-ish, it basically was TRON. I mean, frighteningly so. I couldn't believe how instantly and clearly the sound appeared. I'm almost having a crisis about it. :)

Anyway, here are some of the cues from the series, TRON'd thanks to a handful of vintage VST patches, and with apologies to the great Walter (Wendy) Carlos:

Original Cue:

TRONd Cue (Plus others)

_Mike

*Of COURSE I've having my son transcribe pieces he likes...

2. How did I miss these. I was thinking of posting a question, asking what you are working on these days, as I had not heard anything new from you for a seemingly long time.

Ahh......cool man ! Nice !

Yeah... it does sound a lot like Tron you posted. Rite of Spring too at 3:07. I was waiting for that solo trumpet to come in.

Nice work. No need for a crisis..... plus you would look good in a dress :p

3. Ha.. yes, been doing a lot of music and audio projects of late and needed to take some time to shore up some VFX skills I've been neglecting. Plus, hard at work on Draco's Halloween costume, which is always a "thing." :)