1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

Masterclass Thread Banned at VI-C

Discussion in 'The RedBanned Bar & Grill' started by Mike Verta, May 13, 2018.

1. Official response is this:

2. Is there anything more annoying than having a thread with active posts in it show up in the Latest Posts list? I think not.

And I agree, since nobody uses bookmarks or search engine features, long threads are only for people with mental health problems.

T.j. Prinssen and David Healey like this.
  3. Wait a second... something just occurred to me. Is Mike Greene by any chance involved with Cinebrass?

4. Of course there is! Don't you hate it when people find more value in words than products? I hate when I spend $30 on something and get more value than spending $500.

I don't know. But his company is called Realitone, and Cinesamples post announcements in Tier 2.

5. Mike Greene's argument makes no sense. Took me five minutes to archive everything I wanted in this topic, because it's searchable.

(The Cinesamples guy is Mike Piatti.)

6. I was under the impression that Cinesamples doesn't post commercial announcements or visit VI-Control regularly anymore. Look at how long the thread about their perceived Twitter jab at Spitfire went on before one of the Mikes (not Greene) showed up. I think regular users are posting in the commercial section about Cinesamples releases, though I haven't looked into it.

The reasoning on locking the masterclass thread makes enough sense to me had that been the only action, but deleting it and then only restoring it as a locked thread is harder to understand.

7. #47 Gregory D. Moore, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
  8. Mike Verta brought up the idea of making a "Mike's Corner"... he called it redbanned. That thread was about his masterclasses - which are just as useful to VI users as any other various plugin/library - which are talked about freely.

9. Think positive here...
    This is a very cool offering and both Mike's seemed interested in giving it a shot. Open doors and bridges can only have positive results and the forums and topics are not mutually exclusive. Mike Verta has a lot to share that can be valuable to vi-control members. And likewise, vi-control members (which is a larger population) may be interested in learning more by following up with classes or join focused discussions over here where the community is smaller but the focus on composition and learning is more intense. Nobody is leaving one forum exclusively for the other so it really looks like a good win-win and there's nothing to lose giving it a shot.

When I started the thread on vi-control, half my intent was to share about the Brass Class, and the other half was hoping it would stir up some discussion about Mike's thread banishment. I'm very pleased to see how the discussion transformed and instead of a bitch fest, good positive things came out of it that can be of help to members of both forums. And most importantly, it might help build interest in future Live Classes because it would be great for everyone if that happens. Both Redbanned and vi-control members win if this happens. And I selfishly, might get the Live Wind Class...because damn it, I want that Wind Class! Cheers to all.

Michael Antrum likes this.
  10. #50 Mike Verta, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Once we knock off all the proprietary shit and pissing contests and start acting like adults, amazing things happen. :)

David Scott likes this.