1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

Man, those cats could write a tune...

Discussion in 'The RedBanned Bar & Grill' started by Mike Worth, Jan 16, 2018.

1. So, I'm finishing up EIS this month, and I have to do a bunch of jazz arrangements of song standards.

I'm in the middle of working through "Pure Imagination", and man... that song, it brings tears to my eyes. Just such a lovely set of lyrics, and so tightly balanced with a beautiful, expressive melody, that is thematically developed organically, and tightly.

I am sounding like a dinosaur, but I do miss those great songwriters of old... the "great american songbook" cats... Jerome Kern, Irving Berlin, Hoagy Carmichael, etc. Those Tin Pan Alley cats could write a tune... :)

Also, I've listened to a bunch of covers of this song, and, in my opinion, no one does it better than Gene. RIP, man.

Mike

T.j. Prinssen likes this.