1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Loop for a video game_Work in progress

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Marko Dvojkovic, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Hi! This is my first time creating a loop for a video game. It's quite an interesting challenge to make it listenable for many cycles and it's barely a minute long. But my main concern here is regarding arrangement and that tendency that we all struggle with to put too much stuff. When I look at it there's really not much going on in some parts, but on the other hand I feel that it's pretty effective and works pretty well as a loop. So I wonder what do you guys think, thank you very much! :)

2. Hej Marko,

Cool atmospheric track. The bass synth is a bit overbearing at times, probably due to a mixing thing and imo too close sounding, you could pull it a bit back imo. Apart from the more technical things, well I enjoyed the piece for its mysterious mood which is nice. One thing: When you feature new elements built on them, you feature them, but take them out also very quick which is this feeling of pulling strings forth and back. If that is exactly what you wanted here, well then fine. Other than that I have nothing much to add so far. Thanks for sharing.

Marko Dvojkovic likes this.
  3. Thank you Alexander for feedback, this really helps since most of your remarks are regarding mixing and I'm not yet concerned about mix.
    I'm sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. I wanted the track to have some tension and unpleasant, unpredictable anticipation since it's a shooter game and the single player plot will be about terrorist and government crisis and I wanted to make something that could maybe be menu music so I hope that this could suit that. Also I think that the plot will be happening in some urban Middle Eastern areas so I wanted also some Middle Eastern flavour but "modern" not traditional (I don't know much about the game yet)

4. I decided to put it out

Developers wanted female vocal instead of male, it works well, hopefully I will hire a vocalist for this. Also polished it a little more.

Hearing it now after some time I still feel proud of that bass ostinato that then moves to vocal I have to say.

Cheers guys!

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  5. Nice track! You're right, that's a pretty stellar ostinato.

Are you allowed to name your track? IMO this is a weak area for a lot of composers I see on here, especially as it relates to thematic or "story" music (i.e. not a traditional symphony). Giving a piece a name gives it more context and character, even though one may not know much about the setting or game yet. It's a small thing but makes a difference, for me at least.

I see a lot of people post "Adventure Music" or "Adventure Theme" and I don't get a sense of context or narrative importance.

Martin Hoffmann likes this.
  6. Thanks Rohann! I don't how will this track be used so I didn't want to name it I could have discussed it with the developers but I didn't want to force them to commit to anything. I, on the other hand, especially when looking for feedback (to be torn apart actually xD) like the idea of not giving any context or suggestion to what the track should feel like to see how will people experience it without shaping their expectations. it is a "naked" and vulnerable feeling kind of xD. And I am not completely "naked" here since that cover art also tells a lot what to expect of the piece. But now that you mention it, I aimed this as a kind of main title track of the game, that would possibly loop in the game menu.

7. Good thinking in this context, can't say I disagree.