1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Logic X - Overwrite Mod Wheel Data

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Mattia Chiappa, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Hello!

Is there a way to overwrite CC data in Logic X? I'm really sick of the weirdness happening whenever two curves overlap. I've been dealing with this for years and I can't stand it anymore. Any help is very appreciated!

[​IMG]

Daniele Nasuti likes this.
  2. #2 JP Beveraggi, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Hmmm, never saw this before. How did you manage to get this? Do you have multiple controllers writing the same MIDI channel?

You can edit the CC data directly in the automation window with the pencil tool, but I am not sure I truly understand the problem.

3. I don't want to edit the automation with a tool that's the point of the question. I did this with the same controller by simply recording new midi data on top of what I had before. This happens very often, especially when I'm recording two regions close together. It's quite handy for notes but having to manually edit all those curves when the automation data overlaps, may not seem like much but times add up if have to do this 200 times a day.

4. Understood, basically if you go to Preferences > Recording, under the Overlapping Recording > MIDI, you can set the behaviour of Logic when you record over an existing MIDI region. By default, it is set to Merge, which is what you do not want presumably. Have a look at this link to see what else you can pick:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH26322?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

But bear in mind that whatever behaviour you choose will also be applied to MIDI notes. I do not think you can process notes and automation differently.

5. have you solved it? I also had that problem...

6. Not really no. I often need to merge midi data and changing from merge to overwrite in preferences seems to be the only way to go, so I kept it as it is.

7. Does it have anything to do with the automation mode that is selected? Like Touch vs Latch?

upload_2019-5-23_12-6-22.png

Mattia Chiappa likes this.
  8. No it has nothing to do with automations. There are a few options in the midi preferences but curves and notes cannot be handled differently. It still continues to annoy me but I gave up trying to fix this a long time ago.

9. I simply erase the CC's before recording new. In the piano roll alt-click beside the curve selects the whole curve (i.e. all CC1). I'm mostly using the event list (I have the event list open all the time) click one CC and "select similar". You can also use a transform set for this and connect it to a key command. Deleting the CC curve of a region takes me about 3 seconds.

10. #10 Sascha Wübbena, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    I have the same problem in my automation section. Can it be, that you use the touch-mod-wheel of a KOMPLETE KONTROL? In my opinion that is the guilty.
    My solution is that I create the curves in TOUCH mode of Logic and then trace the curve cleanly with the pen. Works quite well and quickly. My next step is to buy a good fader machine - for example the ICON Plattform M+