1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

Listen to this on headphones.

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Claude Ruelle, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Hey guys,

So I was listening to this JW cue on my headphones today, and I started to notice all the ambient sounds in the room. (clicking sounds, breathing sounds from the players etc...)

I started to compare the volume of those ambient sounds with the volume of the instruments, and I started to realize that the orchestra was playing way softer than I thought. It made think about what Mike says during some of his masterclasses about how quiet the orchestra is in the room compared to the recordings.

Can you guys hear it? It's very noticeable at the beginning.

2. Yes, I've heard that he often takes the entire orchestra down a dynamic marking during recording.

The first time I visited Warner Brothers scoring I didn't know the difference between the door to the stage (first one) and the door to the control room (second.) I was there to visit a friend in the control room. I saw someone eating a muffin who said, "go on in, I don't think they are recording." So I go in the first door. It swings shut behind me, the red light goes on, the conductor has the baton up and says, "And." Then I'm sitting there frozen while they record this super quiet cue with 90 people, hoping my cell phone was on silent.

3. Those clicks are normal when you've got 90 people in a room. I missed them the first time and had to raise my volume and attention in order to notice them. They are quite common in all recorded orchestral music and if you got impressed by them, I would suggest you listen to more of that. Just a suggestion: