1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

John Williams leaves all of his scores and sketches to Julliard School (Don't worry, he's fine)

Discussion in 'Score Study Resources' started by Mauro Pantin, Mar 7, 2018.

1. The Juilliard School announced today that it has received a bequest from Academy Award-winning composer and conductor John Williams of his complete library of concert music and film music scores as well as his sketchbooks. Mr. Williams, who studied piano with longtime Juilliard faculty member Rosina Lhévinne, announced the gift at a special alumni event held in Los Angeles at the Four Seasons Beverly Hills, where Mr. Williams was also presented with a President’s Medal by Juilliard President Joseph W. Polisi.

Acknowledging this gift, Juilliard President Joseph W. Polisi said, “We are deeply grateful to John for his extraordinary generosity in bequeathing Juilliard his extensive library of both concert and film scores. John has been a wonderful friend and colleague for many years. His artistry, creativity, and endless imagination make him one of the most admired and respected musicians of our time. His gift will be a unique resource for all of our musicians at the school, particularly composition students who can study first-hand John’s breadth and versatility as a composer.”

“Since my earliest days as a fledgling piano student, I have looked up to the Juilliard School as the Mecca for the study of music in our country and beyond,” Mr. Williams said. “It’s therefore a privilege for me to donate my sketches, papers, and scores to Juilliard, to be made available to those students particularly interested in the intimate processes of film scoring.“

Sources:
    http://slippedisc.com/2018/03/just-in-john-williams-leaves-all-his-scores-to-juilliard/
    https://www.juilliard.edu/news/1319...uctor-john-williams-bequeath-concert-and-film

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I doubt this resources will be made available online, as other scores from the same library are not available for download, or at least I could not find them in the Julliard website. Regardless, I deem it interesting news. Maybe we'll get to see much more of his sketches and film scores, I'm sure it is full of interesting stuff.

Matthias Calis likes this.
  2. Does he own all rights to the music he composed for movies ?

3. Not exactly sure how it works in the US but, most likely, he owns the publishing but not the sync rights and master recordings (if those exist over there as legal terms).

-Sync allows him to play the music to something (i.e. a film or a commercial). He most likely does not own that.
    -The master recordings allow him to publish a soundtrack album (which I believe the film companies publish through their music subsidiaries). I doubt he owns that as well.
    -Publishing allows him to publish the music in written form, which I guess he owns in light of the news.

4. This is interesting news and very good news for Juilliard students (and faculty). And I applaud this generous act that John Williams has done. However, some of us have no plans to get a formal music education there (or have already done so), don't live in the U.S., or wouldn't have the time or money to make that feasible anyway [all of these apply to me]. Yet, like most people interested in film scoring, I'd like to have a chance to study these.

I would never say what any composer should do with his or her music. I don't want to be that guy. But I will say is that if in that position (I never will be, but that's irrelevant), I hope that I would want to share my life's work with as many people for them to enjoy as possible. Whether for profit or not. After all, isn't that why composers create? Or maybe I'm just naive or selfish. I know I'm stirring the pudding here and will back off if I'm out of line.

EDIT: This is a step in the right direction, so again, hopefully this will open the door to more opportunities in the future.

5. a LOT of full handwritten scores and sketches are already out there if you know where to look, and you can buy the typeset Hal Leonard scores everywhere

6. Let's just say I missed a recent "opportunity" to get some of these and now that chance is gone. But thanks, and I'll probably get those typeset scores eventually. A lot of them are reduced or only for sections, but that's better than nothing.

7. Absolutely agree with you. I got a music education and no interest in going to Julliard, not to mention I'm not based in the US. But I think that this development might open the door as you say to have a few more sketches of him out there.

I would love, in particular, to be able to get at least on one piece from his most primitive sketch (maybe melody and harmony or maybe even just the melody) to a completely developed piece, with as many steps in between as there exist. Of course, his process is HIS process, but I can't help wonder about the order of operations he goes through. There are a few sketches out there (there's the one from Witches of Eastwick for the tennis scene for instance) but it's almost a fully realized orchestration. I am much more interested in the process before that.