1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Guilds - Main Theme (Critiques, Comments, Suggestions!)

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Eduardo Lopez, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Hello again!

I wanted to share the Main Theme for a Videogame I´m scoring. This was particularly an exercise in development, since I´m only using one motivic idea for the whole piece, going through several moods related to the game story!

I would welcome very much any suggestions, comments or critiques!

*This is not a mockup, it´s just the playback from Noteperformer (which is surprisingly good!), so no need to comment on the production side, I´ll get to do the mockup later... Also, the score engraving is not super tight, still I would appreciate any comments on the engraving or notation!

Audio:

Score:
    https://issuu.com/jeduardolopezo/docs/gg_-_main_theme_v_4__version_1__revision_-_concert

Thanks everyone! :D

2. Hello Eduardo! And thanks for sharing your output.

Firstly, I must say I really enjoyed listening to your piece. After having listened it quite a few times I can say I like your orchestrational choices pretty much through out the whole piece. Especially, I think the section starting at about 1:48 is brilliant in terms of orchestration.

These are only my thougths, but I think that the section between 0:16 and 0:48 could benefit from some more movement in the bass, maybe a faster moving counter bassline in the low brass or strings. I think it would definetily increase the energy there.

Then, I really liked the harmonic transitions in the section starting at about 2:20. It had plenty of excitement and tension to it.

At 3:11, where the brass enters, I was wondering whether a syncopated rhythm in the brass, against the piano accompaniment, could give more breath and a nice pulsating feel to the music?

A nice and warm brass chord in the end! A great way to finish the piece.

Anyway, great job there!

-Niko

Eduardo Lopez likes this.
  3. Ah! that´s some great advice, @Niko Tompuri! I´ll definitely take that into account! Thanks for that! :D

And thanks for the kind words... :)

4. Can you provide a way to look over the score without going onto issuu ? It's a pain to navigate the pdf from that site.

5. @Eduardo Lopez I love it! Great piece. Fantastic job with developing your theme. Since NotePerformer is fairly well balanced, a live performance or midi-performance should also work. My one doubt is the solo piano part. Why? You have an entire orchestra at your disposal. Why a solo piano section? This isn't a piano concerto.

Anyway, here is a great video that proves why we love NotePerformer!