1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

Good vs Bad Orchestration

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Doug Gibson, Apr 21, 2018.

1. There can be no orchestration without a composition; orchestration serves the composition. A good orchestration is that which most effectively serves. If the composition requires quiet, restrained panic, and that is what evoked, then it's good orchestration. A good orchestrator does it intentionally and reliably because they're in control of the craft. A bad orchestrator can't do it at all, or only occasionally by accident.

That there can be tomes written exploring a million variables in technical execution belies the need for such. We could do the same thing with the physical and chemical reactions between food ingredients when cooking. In fact, there HAVE been tomes written, analogous to a billion pages on orchestration, about the infinite universe of inter and intra-ingredient dynamics at work when cooking which one could study. Temperatures and time changes of fractions of a degree produce entirely different chemical reactions and thus must be understood, accounted for, and utilized if one is to be a great chef, right?

Not even remotely - as no shortage of the world's best chefs would agree, and here I'm including my illiterate great-grandmother who could somehow cook food so good men felt they were cheating on their wives when eating it.

On the whole, orchestration is treated by some like an infinitely complex alchemy because it can be. Doesn't have to be. One can become a good orchestrator in relatively short order, assuming, again, the composition and compositional ideas being served are worth a fuck. "Epic" is a subset of orchestration the way, "Whatever, dude," is a subset of debate. How complex or deep is the compositional idea being served by "epic"? Not a particularly impressive one, except to a teenager perhaps, who experiences over-wrought emotions of all types because everything's just such a big deal and nobody understands. But yes, you can learn to blare 12 horns - scratch that, you don't have to learn - and feel like a real live composer and get a little tuggle in your pants and get paid for it, so who gives a shit, I guess.

My TL;DR is - worry about the composition. Live an interesting life, develop interesting ideas and philosophies. Have something to say. Do some technical study on working with instruments, and transcribe orchestrations pathologically. Have an intent, and learn to control it; to summon it. With this bedrock foundation you'll already be solid; how high you build on top of it is up to you. But it'll be "good," right from the start.

2. Amen to that. Also, the italicized text is precisely what H.G. Wells' The Time Machine illustrates. Bold text describes basically an entire generation of people, sadly. Great points.

Bookmarked! I love this forum.

Also this:

I hope this doesn't come across as blowing smoke, but your informed, authoritative (you've been in this industry long enough) insights into the state of music are genuinely inspiring from an artistic standpoint. You don't simply spout vague, tired cliches (follow your heart, you can do anything if you put your mind to it), and you also avoid the commonly touted angle of pure (and useless) skepticism/pessimism. This forum genuinely inspires me to work hard and keep creating even when I question myself.