1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

FREE Class this Fri 2/23 w/Neal Desby!

Discussion in 'Classes & Discussion' started by Mike Verta, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Neal Desby's easily the best studio conductor in the business, and orchestrator/conductor on tons of projects from Guardians of the Galaxy and Agents of SHIELD to the Call of Duty games, plus a ton of uncredited stuff.

He is also my former USC professor, close friend, and conductor of 27 years. He will be conducting the Live Symphonic Brass class, too. He and I will be doing an open-topic live show this Friday the 23rd at 7pm PST. I want to warm him up before the Brass class. :)

He is a brilliant musician with an encyclopedic knowledge of music, and you would be hard pressed to find someone with tighter academic credentials. We're going to be talking about all kinds of stuff - you should come and ask questions, and learn a bunch!

_Mike

2. Sorry to be dense: How does one "log-on" to watch this ?

3. #3 Wayne Bacer, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    As a primer to Friday's class, there are a couple of posted interviews with Neal Desby at the "Academy of Scoring Arts."

and

4. It'll either be here in the live tv section or on my YouTube channel streaming - I'll let you know before then. Also, I fell asleep during these videos. Lord....

5. This is awesome, thanks Mike. Do you want any pre-loaded questions, or do you want to do it all live?

6. No need; it's super informal so you can ask away then.

7. Fantastic. A composer/conducter friend will be making the trip to watch it together. Looking forward to it!

8. Unfortunately I cannot attend - will it be recorded as always?

9. I think YouTube records it automatically, yes..

David Healey and Matthias Fluor like this.
  10. Is it christmas already?!

I don't give a shit it'll be 4am my time. I'll be there!

11. The class will be on my YouTube channel!

12. Chat there or here?

13. Heads up - looks like it's on Ustream.

14. Oh. Good to know. I'm sitting here staring at the blank YouTube event...

Where's the chat?

15. Will it be available for 'non vampire' europeans ?

16. Definitely hoping it'll be available on Vimeo or Youtube. I caught the first hour and it was great. Neal is a fountain of knowledge. And Mike was ranting enough for the both of them.

Matthias Calis likes this.
  17. Still waiting for the full stream to see anywhere, I managed to chime in just before Neil left - but well - I'm patiently waiting ;-)

Meanwhile he did some live stream on youtube - don't know what that's about, but I'll have a look :)

David Healey likes this.
  18. It'll take a bit - has to be assembled, re-rendered, etc. Just hang tight.

David Healey likes this.
  19. Just wanted to give a big shout out and thanks to Neil for this wonder Q/A and for answering all my questions.
    I hope he will join us in the future too.
    The after discussion was really interesting too. I hope it works its way to the upload. Thanks Mike and LB!