1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

"Foreign" Music and Odd Time

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Rohann van Rensburg, May 27, 2019.

1. Does anyone have suggestions for making an "exotic" track work for western ears? My thoughts so far are as follows:

I've been listening more to Turkish/Iraqi/further Eastern European music lately, and a lot of them use fairly odd time signatures. What they seem to do for songs that sounds more "western ear" familiar are create odd rhythm and meter but keep it more or less in 4.
    Example:
    upload_2019-5-27_14-37-39.png
    With the odd bar of i..e 7/5/9 but being "completed" in 4.
    upload_2019-5-27_14-37-16.png
    Is this generally a good way to have something sound pseudo-exotic but not lose your audience? I mean there are songs that are just straight in 9, or 5, or Dream-Theater-circa-late-90s (see here:

but these are obviously going to be a lot more jarring as an orchestral arrangement if you're not overly familiar.

Attached Files:

2. Can't answer the question, but here are two music recommendations:

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.