1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

For Victory! now with score video

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Thomas Bryla, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Neat !

That opening reminds me of Petruska.

Keep on kicking ass

Thomas Bryla likes this.
  2. @Thomas Bryla congratulations! Awesome work. And I really, really enjoyed getting to see the score. Thank you for sharing this.

3. Thank you @Doug Gibson and @Paul T McGraw !

These videos are time consuming for me but very fun and I plan to do more of them :)

Glad you like it!

4. Thomas - I made this video not just for you but for everyone.

That said, I have a direct challenge for you. Do exactly what I did - develop your idea (two-handed piano ONLY) for, let's say 3 minutes. A 3-minute piece. You can modulate to any keys or modes - even styles if you want - but all developments must be motivated and not abrupt. No abrupt changes; gentle, flowing, engaging developments. I believe this work is where your time is best spent. Do this, and post your piece here!

_Mike

John Denis and Thomas Bryla like this.
  5. Thank you, Mike, for that very personal class! I bought several of your masterclass six months ago before writing pieces like this and I have since been studying structure and to some extent development – don't think for a second that I don't :) I take this very seriously and will take you up on your challenge!

The videos are a 'side-business' to get people to read more scores – nothing in the piece has changed since you gave the critique because the recording is a product I'm proud of. Nevertheless I keep learning!

6. Mike, how does the development of a motive differ from a "development section"? E.g. you have your theme playing with some variations/developments and then move to a "development section" IF you want to introduce a B section.
    OR, if you want to stay with your initial idea but you wanna have a little "development section", because the upcoming variation of your theme is going to be so far off of it's origin that you wanna lead your audience to that upcoming section.

Thanks in advance. :)

7. I'll do a little follow-up video, but ultimately the structure behind our music must be a dramatically-motivated one. As with any story, the beat points (development) is a product of the style, overall length and other factors. But after a lifetime of hearing stories, people have an innate sense of where those developmental points go and often what their nature is. So we have the task of presenting the tensions/releases and developments which fit or frustrate those expectations. It's our best guide to know what to do when and how much. We have to earn our B and C and other sections; they must be inevitable. To decide that we need a "development section" as opposed to a narrative through-line is not a decision to take lightly. As narrator, if you're doing a development section, it's like you're having to pause your movie and take the audience aside and give them a bunch of backstory because otherwise the next part won't make sense. If this is true, it begs the question why that information wasn't presented earlier; foreshadowing, seeding, etc. Breaking a narrative is clumsy; unless, of course, that's the style. But if it is, then it's pervasive and the question answers itself - like a movie that has continual flashbacks as part of the structure. It's a different way of telling the story, but if it's consistent, then it's okay, probably.

Thomas Bryla and Tino Danielzik like this.
  8. Whether or not I misunderstood the exercise in your video, it really helped me in realizing the point of 10x the music with 1/10 the work. So just wanted to thank you once again :)

9. Are you going to orchestrate the new work ? If so, please let us all here the final result.

10. Could be – of course I'll post it here :) It's probably only gonna be Noteperformer though.