1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

For those who like "Epic Meltdown"

Discussion in 'The RedBanned Bar & Grill' started by Doug Gibson, Aug 29, 2019.

1. One thing mate, I actually don´t want to stop you doing what you like. If you dig that genre and want to explore it further, I would give a little advice: Go to the roots of epic music. I am not quite 100 percent sure, but as you know I watch older movies, really old movies but also the whole stuff from the 80s and 90s and specifically in the 90s I think there was a turning point where I first heard these types of percussive / string driven elements in the way we know it these days but in a way more musical I have to say. Just yesterday I watched the fugitive again. And Jason Newton Howard actually interestingly combined both aspects "thriller" underscoring with some epic action scoring but I liked it because just for instance, lets take String Ostinatos: While these days a lot, and I say and see a lot of people use these major or either minor third bouncing string trope all over the place (which Zimmer did for Dark Knight..and where he has that from is probably in the 90s / 80s) I actually think there is a chance to write interesting driven string ostinato which are lets say a bit "more" interesting and simply employ not just 2 or 3 notes repeating 16 bars long you know.
    Newtons stuff in the movie is nothing what would sound "modern" these days but you can learn still a lot and I think it is always good to look at the forefathers, you know? Its like when you want to score or write like Williams, sure you can study his music but studying what he studied and was influenced by gives you a broader understanding on his motivations and sound.

Martin Hoffmann likes this.
  2. @Martin Hoffmann

I'll get to your questions posed to me. I need to circle back as I don't have the chance at the moment to reply properly to your questions about rhythms. Give me a day or so and I'll get you a proper reply.

Martin Hoffmann likes this.
  3. Doug buddy, the worst thing that you can do is get tilted by some rando asshat

You do you and that's it, if someone's being a doggie tell 'em to fuck off and move on
    Don't lose sleep/get your day mehd cuz of this

4. Whaaat, didn't notice that. That's a curious metaphor for the music here.

5. #85 Rohann van Rensburg, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    The issue is with how people consume music. Only a fraction of the population spends money on live music events (this varies greatly by culture, I do realize). Most people listen to the radio, or whatever Spotify or YouTube is recommending to them. The other major music source is film and TV, which (as is evident in the examples here) has been a little too much "dumpster fire" and not enough excellence, so I'm concerned that literacy is plummeting in the average person. As Doug has mentioned, a piano used to be a household entertainment tool. Now music is just an optional side-hobby.

I agree with the aforementioned about BT not being completely incompetent. But he's made his pick out of Doug's list of 3 (which I fully agree with), and "artistic" is nowhere to be found. I respect his ability to play the Hollywood game -- he's obviously doing tremendously. I just don't think of him as a "composer" in the sense of what most here are aiming towards or what any of our predecessors achieved.
    Many musicians and composers have churned out low-quality work compared to their greatest works (it's often a part of the process, or a result of a compromise somewhere), but to be defined by it is something I think most of us want to avoid. I'm not sure BT will be remembered for his more niche, melodic scores.