1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

For those who like "Epic Meltdown"

Discussion in 'The RedBanned Bar & Grill' started by Doug Gibson, Aug 29, 2019.

1. I agree that it seems the overall quality of scores has declined from say, the 90's. I still think there are some great scores out there, but they do seem to occur a bit less frequently.
    As far as Brian Tyler, I always consider the movies he usually scores, which in my opinion are not often good... However, I enjoy some of his stuff like Frailty, or Now You See me 2, Theme to Yellowstone, and Crazy Rich Asians theme.
    But again, in terms of the state of film scoring, yeah I think we're in a bit of a lull overall.

2. Brian Tyler used to be among my favorite composers, but Mike and redbanned ruined my appreciation for that style to quite some degree. Iirc for the Expendables 2 or 3 Soundtrack he said he had 1 week to compose it. One week... I'm willing to cut him lots of slack if those are the conditions he and others are working under. It's sad all around. I'm sure he'd love to spend more time and do cooler stuff, but ultimately he probably likes more to get well paid. I can understand that as well.

3. I wouldn't say modern media is devoid of interesting scores, but I doubt that anything has been written in the last 10 years in film that will land a place among the greats of film, but there are scores that I like. I still often find games more interesting in this regard -- a wider variety of palettes, and the nature of game scoring often means people write complete pieces with coinciding themes. They're often less ambitious in terms of scope and scale, but that's precisely why I like them more -- they play out like a nuanced album, rather than someone attempting to control an orchestra.

Haven't heard any of Tyler's older stuff. The issue isn't more the specific composer at hand, but the amount of praise they get. The fact that arguably the most popular/"top" Hollywood composers have little in the way of classically-competent knowledge, skill or ability is really the issue (and let's be frank -- creativity as well, in many cases. The repetitious nature of many scores isn't exactly breaking boundaries).

Hard to blame a guy for having difficult churning out a noteworthy score in a week. The choice is ultimately his, though, and all it's doing is feeding the downfall of creative competence in Hollywood.

4. Done! He edited his post and the other one deleted his post. Sorry I waited so long. I thought surely someone else from here would have already messaged him and I didn't want him to get swarmed with redundant mails.

That's true :-/.

5. Thanks !

Hey, aren't we connected on PM?

Just sent you one

Martin Hoffmann likes this.