1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

First Quintet- Spindles

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Zachariah Meints, Jul 4, 2018.

1. #1 Zachariah Meints, Jul 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018

Howdy,
    Finally tried to use virtual solo instruments without lots padding.
    I'd love to hear compositional, programming and mixing feedback.
    Thanks.

2. That's a pretty tough piece to pull off with virtual instruments. Are you planning to get it in front of a live quintent or looking to polish VI techniques?

You set a vibe and rhythm pretty clearly up front which was good. You have a distinct off-beat emphasis in the core pattern you are establishing, but I found the empty space on beat 2 of the second measure to be jarring on first listen. It's true to its pattern and makes sense on second listen, but in the rest of the piece you have melodies filling beat 2, so may be ok to place something lightly there initially.

At 0:30 muted plucked strings rhythm has a kind of swing to it that doesn't follow the groove of the rest of the piece.

Hope this helps. Thanks for sharing, Zachariah.

Zachariah Meints likes this.
  3. Thanks John. Those are good points worth considering.
    I'm working on polishing VI skills at the moment with a score a quintet could play.
    It may turn out to be an exercise in masochism. :p

4. In that case, I can tell you what I do for solo strings. I use Akai EWI to control SWAM strings. It's easier for me to feel the musicality and expression because I learned on brass instruments and have no proficiency with strings. The plus side is that I can get musical results and it helps me clarify dynamics and phrasing and keep a player-centric mindset, but the downside is that the arc and phrasing sounds blown rather than bowed. It's still better results than I can achieve with mod wheel, though to be fair it took me many months of practice to get acceptable results with EWI. Breath controller and keyboard may be a good compromise.

Separately though, when you want to check the composition strength not clouded by VI performance questions, Mike's advice of two-hand playable piano reduction is always a helpful exercise.

5. I checked out the SWAM player and the breath controller. Seems very intuitive. I also saw on their website a link to a Pen2Bow app for ipad that looks like another great alternative to the mod wheel.
    Piano reduction is a smart tool. I have an old copy of this piece on piano I can work with. I took some of your advice on the pizzicato swing notes btw.

John Eldridge likes this.