1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

Fantasy inspired compositions

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Hans Jonathan Hummelgaard, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Just finished the Noteperformer 3 version of this track. I plan to recreate it with samplelibraries. I will definitely add extra layers of percussion. My inspiration is mainly John Williams, then Howard Shore and some Ramin Djawadi as well as general World of Warcraft ost.

Paul T McGraw and Dillon DeRosa like this.
  2. Nice. Reminded me of the WOW Burning Crusade Opening titles, so I can definitely hear your inspiration there.

I'm in awe that that was NP3. I don't have much feedback besides maybe add some winds? If there were any I couldn't hear them. Also, don't get to crazy with the percussion. The music is nice and should sing out.

3. Nice piece. It starts to get cluttered after a while though and all I can hear is the brass over the top. Maybe try cleaning up the orchestration to let that rhythm be heard.

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  4. There's a lot of good stuff there - I think I need to have an attempt on this genre, too :). I agree with Dillon on WOW and Sam on the cluttering in the middle. The minor-7 chord at the end feels kind of strange to me. I usually go with m6, mM7 as tonic, but in this case I prefer a straight triad.

5. I like the vibe. I agree, don't add too much percussion. You've got an old-school-Warcraft feel going but with actual orchestral instruments, and you're largely avoiding the pitfalls of the modern "epic" sound, so don't lose that!

6. Thanks all! Yeah I avoided woodwinds for two reason, I am not that sure when to use them (besides flutes) and it would take more time when doing a proper DAW version.
    In any case I made this DAW version. I am not sure what to do about the cluttering in the middle, I think it is a fine balance between too thin and too cluttered.

7. I managed to get a more balanced mix, I also did a muted choir version, just to better judge other instruments. I'm curious if it still sounds cluttered in midrange.

And with muted choir

8. You definitely nailed the vibe. There are some sexy dissonances in there but I could also hear a few 'not so sexy' ones - Would be great to see the score :)

9. NP3 is truly amazing. Nice track. Too short, but nice. I prefer the version without the chorus.

10. Parts are definitely clearer. I'd be interested to look at the score for this, it seems like everything's so loud for so long that it loses its effect. As a consequence, your climax at the end doesn't have anywhere to go and it falls a bit flat.

11. Only the first track posted is a Noteperformer version. Thank you. Yes Noteperformer 3 is mindblowing. This is also slightly problematic in that redoing everything in the DAW feels a bit like time wasted. Curiously I discovered that Sibelius has a musicxml format that allows you to export all dynamics, basically all that Noteperformer interprets (much more data than MIDI). So maybe in the future we will have a noteperformer DAW version working with something like Samplemodeling/Audiomodeling instruments. One can dream...
    I was surprised to listen to the choir muted and not missing it that much, I thought I had composed it as being integral to the piece but maybe not.

Paul T McGraw likes this.
  12. Thank you! You are right.
    I can supply the score. I will have to correct the score to fit the DAW version first, but I can do that. It will be a messy Noteperformer score though and the dynamics will be different from the DAW version. I guess I can give the original Noteperformer score first, and later the corrected DAW version. I didn't change any harmonies other than leaving out some notes in the choir. Oh the original name is different by the way. I just didn't have any marching horde illustration so changed the name :D
    I actually didn't do any volume fader rides for this track to balance it out as a whole - I was a bit over-satisfied with finally having a working template that I didn't get around to do it. Normally I would definitely do volume dynamics for each section and perhaps exaggerate the quiet-loud contrast in the long-term development.

In any case, I just discovered that all the original Warcraft II MIDI tracks are public, I plan to go though them and copy their orchestral template and compositional style. I actually prefer the music-style of the old Warcraft 2 game rather than the later games.

Attached Files:

13. Warcraft 2 is still my favourite, too. Thanks for providing the score. I'll check it and get back to you

14. Thanks, here is the DAW version, a note on the changes :
    Instead of the contrabass trombone I used HW brass cimbasso. Apparently the cimbasso is used frequently as an alternative in orchestrations. The ordinary HW brass trombone section is bass trombone and two tenor trombones. Sounds great but adding in their cimbasso gives it more depth. I also added Samplemodeling bass trombone and two solo trombones. Don't remember if I used it all for the unison section.
    The trumpets are all samplemodeling btw. And a big thanks to Mike for his Virtuoso and Template balancing courses, taught me more than a lot about how to balance and mix these damn things!
    I used the tuba less since there was no need to overuse it. It's the samplemodeling tuba and I have no idea how to balance and mix it in. I think it sounds ok now since it is not soloed.
    I removed every second hit on the bass drum to improve the feel of 4/4 and added some rolls. (timpani and bass drum are from NI symphonic percussion)
    I removed a few notes in the choir tenors and moved some up an octave since they were out of range for Wotan. I thought Wotan tenors could hit the low Ab (since Elvis could)
    That low they are probably not usable anyway so maybe should all be moved up an octave.
    For the choir basses I deleted a few notes as well.
    For the double basses I put them down an octave at a few bars. In Noteperformer double basses sounds bad in the low Ds and Cs. The sound in the DAW was very pleasant.

I also did changes in the timpani not corrected here but all I did different was variate the rhythm at times.
    I added harp runs and cymbals also not shown here. I am sorry for the transposed instruments - if you prefer just let me know and Ill attach these versions with concert pitch. I try and force myself to use transposed since I often study JW scores and would like to train reading transposed instruments faster. Also if you need you can get the sibelius file.

Attached Files:

Paul T McGraw likes this.
  15. Did you change the Soundcloud file? I love brass and thank you for sharing the score. I listened to the MIx 2 on Soundcloud. I also listened to several of your other compositions on Soundcloud. You have an impressive fluency with the classical era style!

16. Thank you! I don't delete, just add new tracks, so the one first posted is still the noteperformer version. I will keep on adding versions of this track I'm afraid!
    I am a major Mozart fan. I also love Beethoven. I did do all exercises in J.J. Fux's first book on voice leading because I read Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven did. Then finding Robert Gjerdingen's book really was an eye-opener in terms of not being confused about harmony and basic structure anymore. Then I have been through most early Mozart compositions and used them as models for practicing menuette writing and also attempting short allegro pieces. I would say the classical style gets too hard without a teacher so now I focus more on just experimenting like Mike describes in his "here's Johnny" masterclass. But if I ever get the chance to study this old style of writing more in depth I'd be very happy!