1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You're only as good as the harshest criticism you're willing to hear.
    Dismiss Notice

Destined - Trailer Instrumental (feedback on any aspect)

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Roy Osherove, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Hi all.
    First time posting here.
    Would love to hear your thoughts on this piece I made for potential use in an "avengers" style movie trailer.
    I've only been trying my hand at orchestrating for a year or so (I've Done other types before that for a couple of years) , so any feedback is appreciated.

https://s.disco.ac/zmuqwmvqzbux

PS
    Feel free to be brutally honest so I can learn.

Thanks,
    Roy

2. Hej Roy,
    Welcome to the forum. And thanks for sharing your track. Well I am not an expert when it comes to trailer music though a few pointers:

I would say you have done quite a good job here and you could put it for sure in some marvel trailer. The build up is there, the drums, the brass, the delay piano, the effects, so everything very genre typic. Maybe a suggestion: I think another driving element could be string ostinato which is getting burried in your track once its getting more dense, so try to use a bit of dove tailing techniques in order to let them cut through, or just make them louder in the later section. Also I think you need some more aggressive hitting percussion in that track, you know these kind of very compressed gated short door slam percussions? I am not sure about the 2nd break, maybe with the right visuals context behind that might work, just from a pure music aspect I would probably not do a second break because it takes out the momentum, or I would do that second break a lot shorter, maybe just a quarter measure or something in order to maintain the drama.

PS: Cool trick with the guitar...;):D

3. Thanks for the feedback Alexander!

4. Are you gonna to revise that piece?

5. I am working on my next one right now so I will try and incorporate any feedback into that one.
    I try not to dwell too much unless there is a real critical issue that needs solving.
    Generally I always try to get the next one to fix the previous one's mistakes (does that count as a good strategy?)

6. Well everybody is different of course. As it comes to my own philosophy I always revise my own production tracks no matter what little thing I encounter. You know its like painting man or walking the same way but more elegant, you know?. But everybody is different, so if you take anything out thats good. Keep on working & good luck!

7. Thanks! :)

8. I tried to follow the piano melody at the beginning but I couldn't. I think you need to pick a melody and repeat it so that we can all sing it back at the end.

I took a composition class once (Chris Young) where everyone wrote a melody to the same set of chord changes. The first person played their melody and it was kind of all over the place. The teacher then said, "OK class, sing me back that melody." Everyone got three notes in and fell apart. It was a really good lesson in melody writing. I think Mike drives this home in his classes, too.

I also feel like the distorted lead sound in the second half starts to grate a bit. I think the secret with weird synth sounds like that is to get in and get out, switch to something different. That's what makes something like "The Winter Soldier" so cool, the sound design is always changing to some new ear candy. If that part were strings we may not get as tired of it, but I was ready for it to go away. And under dialog it might be too abrasive and attention-grabbing.

9. Thanks for the detailed feedback. I agree _ i need to work on getting the melody to be interesting and repeatable enough. And the synth lead : gotta listen to it again with fresh ears - Appreciate the feedback!