1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

Debussy Homage Mov. 1 - FEEDBACK APPRECIATED

Discussion in 'Critique & Feedback' started by Doug Gibson, May 1, 2018.

1. Acciaccaturas are - unfortunately - somewhat more complicated by the 19th century, and especially in guitar music! Chopin's manuscripts show that at least some, if not many, and perhaps all, of his grace-notes are meant to be played on-the-beat, according to his annotations written for students he was teaching. And so it depended on who the teacher was in how later pianists would play Chopin's Acciaccaturas - if I remember correctly, Horowitz would always put them before, and Arrau would always put them on. But - as more evidence is brought forward, pretty much all of it supports the playing of these as on-the-beat.

In terms of guitar music, there's no confusion in the 19th century: the guitar methods (Carcassi, Carulli, Aguado) show them as on-the-beat for all grace notes, both with and without slashes. If you want to see how big the range of where the note can fall is, check out all the recordings of that theme from Sor's Op. 9. There's a good Acciaccatura in the sixth measure, where there's another treble note and bass note to compare it with. Barrueco and Vidovic put it right on the beat, Williams edges right before it, Vieux is clearly before it, and Segovia puts it AFTER the bass note! Just an example as a warning that: your results will vary!

Ultimately, I'm with you: we'll find out at rehearsal!

2. Hey @Doug Gibson, I just remembered this piece! How did the premiere go? Anything you can share about it?

Paul T McGraw likes this.
  3. Hey !

I was told there is a recording of it, but have not received anything. It was streamed and I watched it.
    Mostly really well. There was on section in the third movement that went REALLY slow for some reason.
    I think they just did not see the metronome mark. (I checked, it is there)

But they said they want to play it again, so that's great !

Thanks for asking !

How is that cool chord progression piece coming along? I have not heard it yet .

4. That's great. Do share if/when you get it and if it'll be allowed.

Oof. Glad you asked!

I've barely written in the last few months, and that was mainly piano sketches. I've been grinding a project full-time for these past few months (if you've seen some of my posts on VI, you can probably guess) and just transcribing when I took short breaks. Thankfully, that's close to an end so I'll have time to compose again.

Doug Gibson likes this.