1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

Bobby McFerrin

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks & Talk' started by Mike Verta, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Easily one of my favorite musicians. In this video - an improvisation - he demonstrates the principles I talk about in the Comp and development classes in a way I simply don't have the voice to!

2. "Don't clap!" :D

Bobby McFerrin is a true musician. Music just flows from his soul. The "power of the pentatonic scale" video that pops up at the end is another great video.

3. I literally taught my boy not to clap on the 1's with the same gravitas I taught him to look both ways when crossing the street.

4. It's an offense that should be punishable by death.

Of course, if you are Harry Connick Jr., you can just insert a 5/4 measure and force everyone into that backbeat

Lawson Madlener and Noam Levy like this.
  5. Loved that Connick turnaround from the first time I saw it. Gutsy, too.

6. No kidding, got to give him some props for that one. Best part is the drummer celebrating behind him at 0:44 after Harry pulls it off.

7. Bobby McFerrin's CD "Paper Music", in which he conducts (and sometimes sings with) the St Paul SO, is priceless.