1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

Apogee Duet v2 or RME Babyface Pro

Discussion in 'Current Gear' started by Mike Verta, Jul 5, 2017.

1. #1 Mike Verta, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Anybody have these? Like them? Use them? I need to replace my USB audio interface, and these are on the short list...

Thanks!

_Mike

2. Hey Mike,
    I have been using the Babyface Pro for a while and it is a great piece of hardware. I love the sound, the build quality and most importantly the drivers. I am on a PC but I know it performs great on a Mac too, I don't think you will be disappointed with it.

3. Yeah that's the one I'm leaning towards... !

4. I'm afraid I've not used the Duet, but I do have a Babyface Pro (which replaced a first gen Babyface) and I love it. Been using the Babyface in some form for 5 years and I haven't had a single crash (or bluescreen) that was attributed to it. I'm also on PC, I'm not sure how helpful that feedback is.

Also, TotalMix FX is excellent, once you wrap your head around it.

For headphones, the Babyface Pro is driving my Sennheiser HD650 (which are fairly high impedance) nicely. The original Babyface's headphone amp wasn't quite up to the task, but no issues there with the Pro.

5. i'll also need to update my 10 year old Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro, since i really doubt it'll work on PC (it's still miraculously working on my mac, using a FW400 to FW800 cable and a FW800 to Thunderbolt adapter). I was also gonna ask what would you choose between the Duet 2, Babyface Pro and Apollo Twin Duo. The only thing i don't like about the babyface is thow it looks... but in the end, that won't be a deciding factor.

6. I ordered the Babyface.. let's see how it does!

Mike Worth likes this.
  7. Good call. I bought a Babyface Pro after my original Babyface finally bit the dust. I wasn't expecting any improvements sound-wise, but when I tried it out I was shocked by how much better it sounded with my HD800S.

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.
  8. I did a lot of homework on this last year when I upgraded my old M-Audio interface.

I bought an Apollo Twin Thunderbolt because I decided I wanted the option of UAD plugs, but if I hadn't I would have definitely gone for the RME Babyface Pro. Legendary stability with the drivers - and really low latency were high on the list.

I never liked the wiring loom on the Duet - it always looked like it was waiting to break...

Mike Verta likes this.
  9. Just saw Darth Underpants. You win the internet today.

Michael Antrum likes this.
  10. #10 Mike Worth, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Mike, I use the RME Fireface, and love the latency, rock solid drivers, etc. However, something which is really useful in the RME environment is the TotalMix mixing software that comes with it. It allows you to route audio from various applications into loopback mode, and put VST effects on them. Long and short, for your masterclasses, it could be your routing options for all your audio. I have my PC audio, my DAW audio, and my Mic audio all coming into my streaming software through different channels in RME, so I can adjust levels, put VST effects on them, etc. (NOTE: I have to use the VST effects at my streaming software level, but RME Totalmix allows me to send different audio stems into my streaming software, for submixes). All without running additional software (the TotalMix software is the mandatory software that RME uses to handle audio on startup).

So, that might be worth exploring for you, when you get the interface.

Mike

Bram van Rens likes this.
  11. Very happy babyface user here :) I'd always go with RME !

12. RME is great (used to have a fire face 800), and I use an Apogee ONE on the road and it works great as well..I believe the RME stuff is more stable when it comes to drivers, but I have not had any problems with my apogee stuff and I use a Symphony in my studio. I think if I were starting over I would go with RME as I have never heard a complaint about them!

13. I have the babyface and love it. Cool compact unit with fantastic preamps. RME's Total Mix, software is a bit complicated, comprehensive although not super user friendly. Solid once you've figured it out. I've not ever used the Apogee Duet so can't comment there.

14. Yeah, I just got a good vibe about the RME. It'll be here tomorrow, if Sweetwater comes through.

15. Okay, after Day 1 of the Babyface Pro, I will say I'm digging it. Sounds great, no-nonsense, setup was two clicks. Putting it through the live paces soon....

David Scott and Amadeus Pakmur like this.
  16. Great to hear Mike. The "Living With TotalMix FX Support Group" meets every second Friday evening at St. Paul's United Methodist. Everyone is welcome and the coffee and donuts are free. It's a judgment-free, safe place to share your feelings.

... much like this one. (Except your donut prices are outrageous.)

17. I'm a very happy Duet 2 user, I've tried RME as well but after using Duet I felt RME lacked a little sonic magic in comparison (Taste thing maybe).
    My next purchase is going to be an Apogee as well, but I've never heard anything bad about RME either :)

18. I'm doing some user reviews for an online magazine and managed to borrow a Babyface pro for a month. At the end of the month I just kept saying to myself "It just bloody works" The fact they got rid of the breakout cable won it for me. I can't face another one of those.
    Nice to visit the site again, it's been an age.

Rohann van Rensburg likes this.