1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Happy 2018, Everybody! Thanks for making Redbanned such a cool, helpful, and inviting place. Here's to another great year!
    Dismiss Notice

Adams A7X or Avantone CLA 10’s?

Discussion in 'Current Gear' started by Samuel Diaz, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Hi everyone, planning to buy new studio monitors but need some advice. I’ve used krks, mackies, genelecs etc. but recently I tested a pair of Adams A7X at a store and absolutely loved them, the problem thought is that some people recommend NS-10’s and I know are very popular amongst mixers for revealing alot of crucial details in the mix etc. Has any one ever dealt with these two and can compare?

P.S- Avantone basically remade the NS-10s but with the new name CLA-10 to avoid any confusion with the thread title.

2. I would never, ever get NS-10s over A7Xs.

In my humble opinion, NS-10s sound like shit, but some people like them because of the fact. It's a very old speaker model and unless you're feeling nostalgic, there's really no reason to go there. You won't have any trouble spotting details with A7X. Sub bass might be one region where you will, so if that's your thing get a Sub10MK2 (unless it dies, it will be your studio sub for-life). But then again, NS-10s are even worse in this area.

Samuel Diaz likes this.
  3. Good to know, thanks for your feedback @Aaron Venture that was great input and advice. I think I'm gonna go in the direction of the Adams then. I've also noticed that a lot of these guys who use NS-10s also use another pair of monitors in addition but I only want one and I guess it wouldn't make sense to just use ns-10s, plus I've heard that they are terrible in the bass regions like you mentioned. I think in an interview with Daniel Pemberton from spitfire audio, Christian was poking fun at Daniel for just using NS-10's as his monitoring speakers :eek: