1. Didja accidentally blow through the whole, "We're using our real names" thing on registration? No problem, just send me (Mike) a Conversation message and I'll get you sorted, by which I mean hammered-into-obedient-line because I'm SO about having a lot of individuality-destroying, oppressive shit all over my forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Discussion areas for the individual classes are unlocked for all users. Let's see if this makes it any more useful. If not, we'll drop this or organize under a single banner to save space and lean things out.
    Dismiss Notice

21st Century Part Writing (Ebook with Audio Examples)

Discussion in 'Score Study Resources' started by Sylvain Provenzano, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Here's a Kickstater that interests me :

I post it here because I want it to succeed and maybe some Redbanners would be interested too.

Of course, all discussions are welcome, share your knowledge and opinions. =)

2. Cool. I wish him well and hope his kickstarter succeeds.

Never heard of him, but he seems like a cool dude, and very intelligent and passionate about wanting to teach.
    So, that is awesome. My honest opinion is that his work will be "directionally correct".

The one - perhaps - fatal flaw is trying to be all things to all people. I don't think it is possible to produce a great text for both beginners and
    "seasoned pros" with verbal language. Music yes.....absolutley. (for example Beethoven Bagatteles or Bartoks music for kids)

I have empathy. As I watched the first 5 minutes and listened to the Strawman trope that dominates music forums,
    it just seemed so obvious to me how much teaching - especially online and hawking a product- is like "Animal Farm"

We are all fucked. Myself and Mike included. Such is life.

Thanks for sharing, and I hope he makes his goal, and people really love the book

3. What is meant by the term part writing in English?

4. A lame term for voice leading.

PS. How have you been? We (I) need more Thomas Bryla posts around here please!

5. Thanks for reminding me, just 3 days left. Almost forgot to back it. Done now.

Sylvain Provenzano likes this.
  6. If he means voice leading I don't really understand the notion for a 21st century style while dismissing the 'old fashioned' approach - still while mentioning Bach as a champion. The example chapters he provide seem very basic compared to baroque voice leading.

It sounds like a YouTuber trying to hype another way for him to make passive income.

This was more of a negative Thomas Bryla post. I try to keep an eye on people posting scores to their compositions to write the positive ones :)

7. Yay !! More Thomas Bryla.

I like negative Thomas Bryla just as much. Gotta keep it real and call a spade a spade. Doug Gibson (can't resist joining the third person party) is often negative too. Really negative. :mad:

Cool....write nice comments about pieces you like, and stay away from the ones that suck.
    Oh..... but I don't think you've ever commented on my pieces.

:( :confused: :eek: :( :( o_O

Sigh.

I hope you know that I am just joking, and also far too narcissistic and lazy to care.

More Thomas Bryla posts, please!